Help! I have metals

Follow the directions on the product. I believe the directions on TFP are for straight ascorbic acid and not a packaged preparation.

I hate to keep saying it but you really need to know if your tap water has metals in it. Next time you take a sample in tell them to only test for metals. Take the sample from your kitchen faucet and tell them you need to know if there are metals in the fill water. They don't need to run the other tests because it is not a pool water sample.

2 days after Aa treatment...looking good
870f6874aac591f3b043c3abcbe03408_zps2325a1cc.jpg

86c1d28717e9b2d3a5410089011a490d_zpsfaf84105.jpg

0cb9777dd0ca529603337cda1230a58e_zps8cac2e73.jpg

843f301e803baf894cff894a82eccc23_zpsc9038948.jpg

Holy Moly.....pool has looked beautiful all week. Went out to test this morn and noticed 3 spots of algae which I brushed off. Miffed since FC is at 3.5 and CC 0. I'm slamming but I'm sure since I'm having to raise the FC the metal stains will return....

FC 3.5
CC 0
Ph 7.3
TA 75
Ch 70
Cya 40

Slamming to 16....just added 4 gal bleach, running kreepy and fixin to brush!

Wonder if previous owner used or misused a mineral system, like Nature2?? How else would your metals be that high. I doubt it is in your fill water but???? Some will probably say it is a scam, but I bought a $20 filter for the hose end from spa depot and my fill water is almost perfectly neutral. Normally pretty hard water. City water, but hard.

Our city water doesn't have metals. I believe the prev owners or the person the attempted to maintain the pool when it was in foreclosure was adding tons of Algaecide that contained metals. I've just read about a hose end filter. Going to see if I can find one.

Until you drain and replace the metal filled water you will need to keep adding sequestrant and polyquat 60 based algacide. Keep the FC at the bottom of your recommended range and don't let it drop any lower.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I FEEL YOUR PAIN! I have been running in circles with metal stains all summer. I first noticed them after I opened the pool and have been battling them ever since. I have had tap and pool water tested, no metals. I have drained my pool 3 TIMES! No luck. I have replaced all potential rusty screws. No luck. I have used every kind of sequestrant, no luck. The stains reappear if I raise my FC over 2. It has absolutely drove me nuts. So...I basically deal with them unless we have a party or company and do a quick AA treatment right before so it looks good for a few days. The only place I can think of that the metal is coming from is runoff from our deck into the pool, but I am not even sure that's the case.

By the way, there was one time I used a cheaper sequestrant and woke up to a cloudy pool the next day, which had never happened before. After two days of frustration I added a bit of clarifier and it was totally clear in 6-7 hours, but it did cause my psi to rise a bit so I back washed.

I will follow your thread and hopefully you will find a magic cure! Good luck to you!

So far so good.....keeping FC no higher than 6 in relation to my CYA and as long as I keep my ph no higher than 7.3, TA at 75. 1/2 bottle of Metal Klear about every 5 days seems to be doing the trick. Run my kreepy krawly every day for about 3 hrs. Hard for me to brush since I have an impinged nerve and bone spire in my shoulder. Also running my filter in cycles about 12 hrs a day. I also add my bleach at 7pm which holds well overnight. Been Crystal clear for about 2 weeks. First sign of yellowing on my steps and I sprinkle a tad of AA on steps. The powered sequestrant called Sparkle Conquest clouded the water. I won't use it again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.