Help! I have a few spots of green algae beginning to form on walls, but just did AA treatment 1 week ago!

Jbgelatt

Jul 16, 2020
NJ
So we did an Ascorbic acid treatment on our 45,000 gallon pool (plaster) a little over a week ago (added sequestering agent, brought chlorine up slowly) and the pool looks great, I thought our chlorine had been holding, but this morning I noticed about 3 small areas of green algae starting to form on walls. I know everyone says not to shock for 2 weeks but we’re only on day 9 - any ideas what I should do? It’s also been super hot and humid the last several days (in NJ), so don’t know if that’s a factor...I would just hate to shock, make the kids stay out of the pool for a few days, and possibly have all the stains come back😢

Welcome to TFP.

You need to tip toe the line between stains coming back and an algae bloom.

Check your FC level as often as you can and maintain it. Don't let the algae drag your FC level down. Brush the pool often.

Eventually you will need to brave the SLAM Process and hope the stains do not return.

Next time wait until the Spring or Fall when the water is cold to do an AA treatment.

Thanks - so you don’t think I should just do a regular “overnight” shock with Cal-hypo or liquid chlorine and some additional sequestering agent? Can I do those at the same time? The reason for the late AA treatment is the fact that we didn’t get our pool up and running until late June (we just moved into the house and it was sitting for 5 years - it was quite labor intensive).

I actually added a different algicide yesterday and brushed twice. I have polyquat 60 on hand - I didn’t add during the aa treatment because we had shocked and used an algicide right before the treatment and I felt like there was still quite a bit of residual in there. I was reading yesterday that polyquat can actually bring chlorine down quite a bit so at this point, I thought it wouldn’t be a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.