HELP!!!! Huge hole in winter cover

May 6, 2014
Worcester, MA
Hi,

I have a huge hole in my winter cover. Any suggestions on what we should do?? There is a layer of ice on top so we can't replace the cover at this point

I have a 15' round above ground pool.

Attachments

• Hole in pool cover.jpg
    Hole in pool cover.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 49
I would just ignore it till spring. Do your best to keep leaves and debris off the top of the pool and plan to open early (before the water warms up). See if you can find some good deals on a cover and just hold on to it till next fall.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
If it makes you feel any better, I’m going completely coverless this winter even though my pool is closed. I just scoop out all the leaves and as much debris as I can and test the water weekly if it is not frozen lol. I closed extremely late and brought water to SLAM level pre-closing and water temps were low to mid 40s. So far, my water is still crystal clear with some dirt on the bottom and I haven’t had to add any chlorine yet (thank God since my equipment is all winterized). I say either leave it alone til Spring or join the no cover club (after the ice melts, obviously) if you don’t mind the occasional scoop lol

EDIT: If you do choose to take the cover off, make sure you open as early as possible!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirker
join the no cover club

I vote to join the no cover club. Granted, my winters in GA is a bit different than you guys up north... But I found the cover to be just a huge pain. Much easier to just scope leaves than to fight with the cover. And those things seem to be way over priced and don't last long either.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I vote to join the no cover club. Granted, my winters in GA is a bit different than you guys up north... But I found the cover to be just a huge pain. Much easier to just scope leaves than to fight with the cover. And those things seem to be way over priced and don't last long either.

I bought a nice micro-mesh cover but we could not get it to stay on with the winds and we couldn’t keep it tight so it laid on top of the water making a “tea bag” for any leaves that dropped on it which made it pointless. I got frustrated and took it off! I scoop daily unless frozen (no leaves under the ice since I make sure to scoop really good before I know it is going to freeze). We will see how it goes come spring time. I’ll definitely be opening as early as I can (as soon as ice is melted in hopefully late March to first week of April) to avoid any algae blooms. Most people do not recommend not using a cover but I don’t see why it matters as long as I keep up with it. I guess when it needs chlorine I’ll just use a brush to mix it in?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.