Help getting started please

Ben_

May 18, 2018
Kansas CIty, MO
Hello,

Put up an AGP, and currently filling it up. Great site BTW, actually using the overlay liner trick on my Intex as the seam is leaking. I took my first set of water tests just to see where I'm at (been pool filling the past 18hrs). I'm going with a SWG and haven't put anything in the water yet. With the FC low and of course CYA and salt at zero at the moment, should I get the salt in there now while the pool finishes filling up and then once the water gets over the jet add bleach and get CYA up to 70 (sock technique)? Then after things settle over the next 24hrs, re-test and focus on lowering the PH?

Taylor 2006 Test Kit / Taylor Salt Test Kit

FC - 1
CC - <1
pH - 8 (think it's higher it was more red/pink than the test window)
TA - 40
CYA - 0 (still filling pool, almost getting above the jet)
Salt - 200

Lowering pH is the priority but you can't adjust with out circulation. You have a tricky situation with high pH and low Alk. So target the pH to 7.4, then use baking soda to increase your ALK to 80. But this can't be done without the pump/filter running. Also keep in mind the CYA will lower both, as it is acidic. So I would add the CYA and see how it affects them before adjusting them to your final levels.

You can add some of the salt and brush it with a brush and pole to dissolve while filling. Get it all circulating with the pump/filter and then retest your salt in a day or 2, while manually using liquid. Then target your final number. That way you aren't over shooting your target with the salt.

If you are brushing to dissolve the salt you can also add small amounts of liquid chlorine - the brushing will help circulate it so it doesn't puddle. But brush really really well!

Good luck!

Assume the PH is 8 and use PoolMath to calculate Muratic Acid to add to take it down to 7.4. Repeat testing and cycle until you get a PH test below 8.

We recommend getting the pool balanced as a bleach pool, then add the salt, then fire up the SWG.

You'll have to use bleach for a couple days anyway, because the SWG will never keep up with demand without any CYA.

You have the K-2006, so you can do the acid demand test and get that in the ballpark in one shot, even if your pH is off the top of the scale. That'll save you an hour...

Anyway, in no particular order, add some bleach to get to 3, adjust pH, and add the CYA using the sock method. As soon as the bleach is in and the pH is adjusted, it's safe to get in. Probably too cold for you, but the kids'll do it. The kids will also enjoy helping you mix the salt. Dump it in and let them swim through it and push it around. Hold off on salt until things are balanced and the CYA is dissolved. Don't forget to raise the FC level as the CYA dissolves.

Ok, today, if I'm doing this correctly:

PH - 7.0
TA - 40
FC - .5
CC - .5
CYA - 75

Yesterday I put in two quarts of bleach. This evening I put in 3 quarts of bleach (per pool math). Going to hold off on baking soda for PH to see where it's at tomorrow. It dropped pretty quick after running that CYA last night.

Remember, as noted above, since the salt may not be fully dissolved yet, or the SWG running things on its own, keep the bleach FC level higher. You're dangerously low right now. Until you crank-up the SWG, your pool is managed as a non-salt pool. Refer to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] to see what your FC should be based on a (rounded-up) CYA of 80. You need bleach right away.

I put in enough bleach to get my FC to 5. That ok?
With CYA that high, I'd take the FC up to about 9. That's what the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] shows. No lower than 5 at any time until you have the SWG operating. Once the SWG is operating and adjusted, then the FC level will be lower due to constant production.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.