Help Fixing Pool Light: Cord or Light?

campbmic

Jun 9, 2019
Houston
Hey everyone! My parents have a house with an in ground pool built in 1999. They purchased the house about 5 years ago and about 4 years ago the pool light went out. My Dad replaced the light. The light's box is attached to an outdoor outlet with a fuse button. After he replaced it, the fuse kept tripping and he gave up.

I'm now trying to fix it for him. I reset the fuse on the outlet and while backing to the pool on the cement got the pooped shocked out of me. I assumed it was a short in the cord running from the box to the pool. So I disconnected the light's box from the outlet. Then I disconnected the cord that runs through the conduit to the pool light.

However, when I unscrewed the pool light from the pool I noticed it was totally filled with water. I'm guessing this light should not be filled with water and is whats causing the issue. Could someone confirm this?

To fix this would I just clean up the light and replace the rubber grommet that goes around it? The grommet doesnt look that bad, maybe he just installed it incorrectly? Is there an epoxy or glue that should be used?

Also, when I thought the issue was the wire I tried pulling the wire through the conduit (with an attached cord) and out into the pool, but it would not budge at all!

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 34
That's the light fixture in the pic, and water is not supposed to be inside that, but obviously it has. As long as the cord entrance on the back of it isn't compromised, you should be able to replace the gasket and use it, but if the cord entrance is compromised, you'll have to replace the whole fixture.

Given the seriousness of what can happen if that fixture leaks, shorts out and hurts someone, it would be a no brainer for me to not even think about trying to reuse it. It just ain't worth the risk.

Hey everyone! My parents have a house with an in ground pool built in 1999. They purchased the house about 5 years ago and about 4 years ago the pool light went out. My Dad replaced the light. The light's box is attached to an outdoor outlet with a fuse button. After he replaced it, the fuse kept tripping and he gave up.

I'm now trying to fix it for him. I reset the fuse on the outlet and while backing to the pool on the cement got the pooped shocked out of me. I assumed it was a short in the cord running from the box to the pool. So I disconnected the light's box from the outlet. Then I disconnected the cord that runs through the conduit to the pool light.

However, when I unscrewed the pool light from the pool I noticed it was totally filled with water. I'm guessing this light should not be filled with water and is whats causing the issue. Could someone confirm this?

To fix this would I just clean up the light and replace the rubber grommet that goes around it? The grommet doesnt look that bad, maybe he just installed it incorrectly? Is there an epoxy or glue that should be used?

Also, when I thought the issue was the wire I tried pulling the wire through the conduit (with an attached cord) and out into the pool, but it would not budge at all!

theres a gasket that seals the lens to the housing. its special for each type of light fixture. you also want an actual pool light. regular bulbs get very hot. a cheap LED would be way better. you gotta look in the niche and see if its got potting blocking the conduit the older ones can be setup several different ways. also take a pic of this box and this fuse, doesnt sound like a proper setup for a pool light

I wouldn’t hesitate to replace that fixture. You’re going to have a tough time sealing that even with a new gasket with all of that rust. No need to take another potential shock risk. However, before you pull any of the wire out of the conduit, you may want to wait. When I replaced my fixture, I needed to attach the old cord to the new one in order to fish it through the conduit. Without that, I’m not sure how that would be done.

Edited to add: There will be water in the niche that the light fixture sits in, but no water should be inside of the light fixture housing coming in contact with the bulb.

Thanks for all the replies! The cord that goes from the box to the pool seems fine, and like I said I cant seem to get it out anyways.

I went to Leslies pool supplies and purchased a new gasket and light. I installed the gasket three different times and the light is still leaking. I held the light just under water for 5 minutes and it didnt leak. But whenever I actually install it into the niche it starts to leak.

I think I found the problem though! I was installing the gasket over the light lens and the metal of the light housing. This video is the same brand/model of my light. Can someone confirm that the gasket just goes on the light lens and thats it?

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 25
The gasket goes around the glass lens and is sandwiched by the front ring and the light fixture.

I feel your pain on the cord not budging. I had a similar light where the fixture was no longer serviceable and I could not get the cord to budge. What I did was first get the ground wire loose and removed it. I think its 8 gauge so it was smaller and had less friction. I pulled from the junction box side and then pulled from the pool side and worked it back and forth until it came out.

With the ground wire out I was able to work the main power cable for the light free, and then , and when removing it pulled in attached pull line to the cable so I could pull the power cord from replacement fixture back up to the junction box.

edit: I also replaced the ground wire because I was concerned that I had stressed it somewhere due to the amount of force I had to put on it to work it free.

So the pool timer attaches to an outlet that has a fuse button (see pic). Is the outlet GFCI protected?

Its strange, the pool timer has a wire that goes in a conduit, that goes into the ground. I assumed this was how the light was powered. However there is also a switch next to my door that needs to be on for the light to work. So Im really not sure how its wired.

Im planning on just putting the new bulb in (correctly this time) and I think it should be all good to go!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is no indication that your pool light is GFCI protected. I want to make this very clear ...

YOUR POOL LIGHT SHOULD NOT BE POWERED UNTIL IT IS PROTECTED BY A GFCI CB.

The next time someone can be killed not just shocked.

If you do not know what you are doing get a qualified electrician.

There is no indication that your pool light is GFCI protected. I want to make this very clear ...

YOUR POOL LIGHT SHOULD NOT BE POWERED UNTIL IT IS PROTECTED BY A GFCI CB.

The next time someone can be killed not just shocked.

If you do not know what you are doing get a qualified electrician.

+1

And looking at the picture it looks like the pool light power cord goes directly into the panel box with the timer.

I thought the code required a separate junction box elevated above pool level and separate from the electrical panel.

I'm not an electrician, but if this were my parents pool, I would ask an electrician to inspect it to ensure it is wired safely.

Code dictates that the circuit MUST be gfci protected and joined in an approved housing. The panel box is fine IF the internal ground and the bonding wire can all be attached on a bus bar together. I can tell you that someone has altered the original writing path to that switch by your door and you are taking a chance with someone's life here no joke. Are you near north NJ I'll come fix it for free

Reactions: guinness
The panel in the photo is for a low voltage lighting system, but the pool light appears to be 120V. You definitely need to ensure that you have working GFCI protection that will trip or shut off the circuit immediately. Below is some useful information regarding pool lights and the need for a pool light junction box.

Last edited:
Thans for the replies! I'm a complete novice with this but safety is my #1 priority and I just want to make sure Im doing everything right.

Like I said the pool light timer is powered by an outdoor plug (which has a fuse thing) I believe is GFCI protected. If you look at the picture I posted above (and in this post) the plug is to the right of the box. After that box is plugged in, a wire is connected to the "Circuit #1 Common 300 watt max" and the "low volt hot 11 volt". This wire goes from the box into the conduit that runs underground.

I did a few tests and it looks like the switch next to my door turns on/off the outlet that the light timer is powered by.

With this info, if the light does get soaked will the GFCI flip?

In other news, I put the gasket on correctly and it seemed to work at first. After about 5 hours the light had about 1/5 a cup of water in it.... so it still doesnt seem to be sealing properly

I greatly appreciate everyones help so far!

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 15
Thans for the replies! I'm a complete novice with this but safety is my #1 priority and I just want to make sure Im doing everything right.

Like I said the pool light timer is powered by an outdoor plug (which has a fuse thing) I believe is GFCI protected. If you look at the picture I posted above (and in this post) the plug is to the right of the box. After that box is plugged in, a wire is connected to the "Circuit #1 Common 300 watt max" and the "low volt hot 11 volt". This wire goes from the box into the conduit that runs underground.

I did a few tests and it looks like the switch next to my door turns on/off the outlet that the light timer is powered by.

With this info, if the light does get soaked will the GFCI flip?

In other news, I put the gasket on correctly and it seemed to work at first. After about 5 hours the light had about 1/5 a cup of water in it.... so it still doesnt seem to be sealing properly

I greatly appreciate everyones help so far!

THAT WIRING THAT YOU DESCRIBE IS DANGEROUS AT A NUMBER OF LEVELS.

PLEASE GET AN ELECTRICIAN INVOLVED.

Thanks for the reply, could you give me more info on why it is dangerous? That way we could figure out exactly what we need to do or who we need to call.

My parents had left the light flooded for 2-3 years. I reset the GFCI and walked back to the pool. On my way back I was shocked and the GFCI tripped again.

Not sure if that info helps or not

Im trying to wrap my head around how this wiring can be so dangerous. I live in a pretty nice suburb of Houston that was built in 1999 and about 1/3 of these houses have pools. Its hard for me to understand how this pool wiring is dangerous when every house around here was built the same way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.