Help Finding Flat Drain Cover

It's my understanding that yes, if I only have one drain, then flat covers are illegal. But since I have 2 drains off the same pipe, then that's not the case? 2 drains = no suction danger, right?
All drain covers must be certified "unblockable, anti-entrapement" per Federal regulations, that's the second part of the split-drain equation.
Flat covers, regardless of how many in a pool, are not either, not legal, not manufactured.
Think of two flat covers and two fools playing around and getting stuck.
If you don't think that happens, ask an insurance company. Even ones certified can be defeated. As the expression goes, "You can't fix stupid." There were many stories in trade publications of ones who did so when they first came out.

I would avoid ever having all suction on any main drain or set of 2 regular round main drains.

If you have a situation where you would need all suction on main drains, overengineer the design such that it would be virtually impossible to block all drains simultaneously.

For this, I would use at least 2 sets of regular round main drains (4 total) or at least 2 large Channel Drains or large Ring Drains.

For example, an infinity edge trough will need to use all main drains.

Even though the trough is not intended for people to get in, kids and adults will commonly get in the trough and use it like a small pool.

1709601008578.png

1709601140678.png

1709601150947.png

1709601160311.png

Besides the cover, the sump part looks like it is also not to code.

My recommendation is to either eliminate the drains or replace both with entirely new fixtures including the main drain sump part.

This will require cutting into the gunite and a lot of work and money.

Do you have 1 or 2 skimmers?

If you have 2 skimmers, then eliminating the drains is a good choice.

You can add a second skimmer if you only have 1 skimmer.

Reactions: 98Poolmaster
It looks like a Pool Drain Cover CSI 4-1-10-20.

It is no longer made.

You can disable the drain and fill it in to make it safe.

There will probably not be a suitable drain cover available.

It is illegal and unsafe to install a drain cover that is not Certified to current regulations.

Just curious- how would I go about disabling it and filling it in?

I have 12 of these in my pool, spa and water feature/pond both on the floor drains and side intakes. No way am I replacing all of these!!!!!

Like you my son broke it. In his defense it is likely 20+ years old and chlorine weakened. Fortunately I have an old spare the PO left behind. I will put that in the pond wall intake and move that to the main drain.

I also have one of those in ground pop up cleaning systems and live about 5 miles from Scottsdale AirPark. All of my neighbors have the exact same setups and hardware.

Options I see are 3d print, eBay used (haven’t seen any) or custom fab from stainless/ plastic or other material.

Any other ideas greatly welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    613.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    729.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    844.9 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 1
Options I see are 3d print, eBay used (haven’t seen any) or custom fab from stainless/ plastic or other material.

Any other ideas greatly welcome.
Part of the problem is that we cannot recommend anything that is not compliant with federal regulations and building codes.

It is illegal to install any cover that is not certified to current standards.

Anyone involved in installing non-compliant covers will incur tremendous liability if anything happens.

Last edited: