Lansing, michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just trying to get away from following what our pool store is telling us. I just ordered a test kit k-2006 but for right now all I have are testing strips. I have been reading everything I can find on your website and still not sure what to do. On Monday we were told we had a phosphate problem so I followed the pool store treatment with phosphate liquid killer. Now after 48 hrs my stabilizer and FC readings are both 0. The Chlorine has been this low for weeks, not sure about the stabilizer because the store didn’t seem concerned about it. Last night we added 2 bags of powder shock ( 56% calcium hypochlorite) and 2/3 gallon of conditioner. I have the chlorine output at 100%. I know the CYA level would not register yet but the FC level has not gone up at all. I keep reading and trying to figure out what to do. We are still getting yellow algae all over the bottom of the pool which is why I went to the pool store originally. Please help me figure out where to start. We were going to add more stabilizer but then I read some threads about ammonia, so now I’m concerned that is also a problem. Please help!!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Let's get right to your situation:
1 - Don't plan on doing much until you receive your K-2006C test kit. That's when we will really get started.
2 - Update your signature. See mine as an example. List all your pool and equipment info. If on a well, show that too.
3 - Using our PoolMath APP, add about 5 ppm of liquid chlorine per day. That's it. No more powders or pool store products. Those can cause more harm than good right now.

Read-up on our Pool Care Basics page and once you get your test kit, this will all make much more sense. We can help.

It sounds like you have a SWG. SWGs are great at maintaining FC, but they are too slow to raise it when it gets really low such as yours is. The chlorine simply gets used up faster than the SWG can make it.

So do as Tex suggests and add liquid chlorine (bleach) to raise FC by 5 ppm every day. Once you have a test kit, we'll be able to determine if you have algae active and help you deal with it.

Reactions: jodee_100
Thank you for your help!! I got my testing kit today. So excited to finally figure out the right amount of chemicals and to stop going to the pool store!

Here are my first time results with the k2006c
FC 4.2
CC 1.0
CYA below 30 ( wasn’t a sunny day. I added 2/3 of a gallon of conditioner 5 days ago)
PH 7.6
TA 220
CH 160
Your help is greatly appreciated!!

How much below 30 was your CYA? Is it between 20 and 30? If so, we round up and call it 30.

You should follow the SLAM Process step by step with no shortcuts.

The CYA test I bought doesn’t go below 30. I could see the black dot clearly at the 30 mark. I don’t think we added CYA when we opened the pool.
Since you apparently used some stabilizer chlorine in the past (bags of shock) you may have a little CYA but not much. I would use the PoolMath APP to figure out the dosage amount to increase your CYA by 20 ppm. Let's try to get it up slowly for now to ensure you can see an accurate reading. Then you can always add more later. In the meantime, be sure to keep the FC in a good place of around 4-5 ppm to avoid algae.

The problem using liquid CYA is that you need to use the complete jug as the sludge sits at the bottom and via good rinsing several times is when the total contents are mix in to the water. Now 2/3 of the jug rendered this as unknown CYA addition. The best way to add CYA is granular hanging in a sock in front of a strong return.

Reactions: ghall6292
Great job on getting a proper test kit. :goodjob: Get that liquid chlorine (no more shock!) into your pool ASAP and maintain at least 5 ppm until you get your CYA to the recommended level. From your description of seeing yellow algae on the pool floor, I'm guessing that you may be seeing a SLAM in your near future. No need to panic. It's a relatively common procedure on here that some perform even when they just suspect something is headed in the wrong direction (like me, about once a year :unsure:.) Just get that chlorine in there for now, until you get a good handle on your actual CYA reading.

In the meantime, gather up ALL of your pool store potions, put them in a lockable container, and mail the key to someone you barely trust and hardly ever see (or donate it to someone you don't like.) People new to TFP often deal with the desire to get off the pool store merry-go-round, while maintaining contact with the pool store and their products and advice. It never, ever works. It just causes wasted money, wasted time, and sometimes frayed relationships at home. With TFP, there's no store, there's no products to buy, there's just tons of free expert advice. If you feel the desire to help, become a TFP supporter or make a small donation. All proceeds go to maintaining this unbelievable resource and are always appreciated.

We are here to help you turn your pool nightmare into a Trouble Free Pool- a Total Fun Pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.