Help Cleaning Up Algae and Pool Plan

Sep 1, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Hi,

I have a roughly 10,000 gallon pebbletec Shasta pool. It is configured for salt water generation, but have been using pucks the last 2 years. In floor spray head cleaners, cartridge filters.

I've had some difficulties with algae over the last year and need to knock it out and get it cleaned up to avoid hiring a pool guy. I figure I can get it fixed for less than a year of service and come out way ahead over a few years. Phoenix area, do testing at Leslies normally. Ventured out to Corsons to pick up a bunch of liquid chlorine in preparation.

Refilled pool about 2 months ago. Have cleaned filters about 3 times this summer so far. Made an attempt at SLAM without a good test kit, but didn't work out.

Chlorine levels are not staying up - with a puck floater and 3 pucks it's having issues. 2 days ago I added a gallon of HASA chlorine, so pool has cleaned up a bit from that and has had respectable FC levels. Issues are cloudy water, tan colored debris when brushing down walls and sometimes floor. Recently a bad smell and some green algae around the edge. Time to knock out the algae and come up with a better maintenance plan. Would also appreciate advice on getting the SWG going again. Should I do it, and if so, should I do before or after SLAM? I read the article on balancing before SWG and see that my TA might need to come down, but other numbers seem to be OK from my memory. Need to acquire salt and salt test still - and then will see if the salt cell still works. Last time it was operating, would get scale buildup on it. Also was getting scaling on the edge of the pool.

Here are numbers for advice. I've got pool math and FAS-DPD test kit, 8 gallons of HASA.

Yesterday FC was 4
This morning
FC 2.0
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 110
CH 400
CYA 70-80

Thanks!
Sam

Last edited:
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
Thanks Marty, I have a Taylor K-2006 as recommended in some other similar threads. Suspecting this is your stock response as I believe I've seen this post before :unsure:. Let me know if any other advice before starting. Also the question still stands on if I should get the SWG running again and when is the best time to do it - before, during, after SLAM? After reading some threads here it seems it is better than pucks and less work for me than adding liquid bleach. So if anyone has some considered advice, I am all ears.

I have a Taylor K-2006 as recommended
What is your CYA? Your own test, not Leslie's. Add the test kit to your signature.
I would not have a pool without a SWCG. Works flawlessly for me. With much harsher conditions than you have. We leave for weeks to even months during the year and the pool needs little intervention.

You are in CYA jail basically. For future, stop using pucks except for special occassions like vacation.

You really need to read pool school and learn about the relationship of FC and CYA, as well as the SLAM levels.

Here are the highlights

I dont know HASA percentage, but lets say its 10%.

For your pool, every gallon adds 10 of FC. The CYA chart says you need to be at 31 for your CYA level. Your last reading was 2, and you added 18, so at best you are at 20, well short of the 31 goal.

The above paragraph is the short summary of your issues. Solution, add more FC, and keep it at 31 until SLAM finished.

Yev, thanks for the feedback. I'm familiar with CYA and FC, which is why I am working on getting the SWG going again. I don't want to deal with adding liquid every day and the tabs aren't cutting it, so that seems like a better solution. I'm using pool math to get recommended SLAM FC targets and additions. From what I've read on here, SWG requires a higher CYA, so I should be fine at these levels, it is just costing me more to add the HASA (13%) to SLAM.

I started this morning and have continually been testing around 17 1 to 2 hours after adding the chlorine, but that was with CYA at 67, will up to 80 as recommended by Marty.

Tested the salt cell at the pool store. They said it is ok. Salt test kit should be here Friday, so hopefully I'll have the issue sorted out and can get that up and running to take over.

I have 2 thoughts about your plan. waiting will only make this process take even longer. If it were my pool, I woudl not wait, I would just go get some liquid. Second, while I dont have one, so this is secodn hand, I think it is hard to fight an outbreak relying on a SWG. Stresses teh cell to start with, plus if bad enough, the outbreak consumes FC as quickly as it is being made. But do the math to verify this for your pool. Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also the question still stands on if I should get the SWG running again and when is the best time to do it - before, during, after SLAM? After reading some threads here it seems it is better than pucks and less work for me than adding liquid bleach. So if anyone has some considered advice, I am all ears.
To answer this question directly, you should leave the SWG off for now. Go ahead and get it ready to work if you want, but leave it off for now.
As tempting as it may seam to use the SWG, we suggest using liquid chlorine for now. Liquid chlorine is easy to dose specific amounts and know for sure how much is going into the pool. You will easily be able to tell through testing and the volume of bleach used how you are progressing at cleaning the pool. SWGs tend to give a false sense of security during the SLAM process and easily underestimate how much chlorine you are consuming fighting the battle with algae. It also doesn't use up the life of the SWG while you are driving it hard. Your SWG cell is well sized for your pool, but most people have a cell that isn't set up to produce enough chlorine during the SLAM process even at full output.

Also with that high CYA, you should consider ordering test refills for the FC since you will likely run out of reagent R-0871 drops quickly.

Also with that high CYA, you should consider ordering test refills for the FC since you will likely run out of reagent R-0871 drops quickly.
Thats a good call! I noticed it was low last night. Using 50 drops for each test, I am about to run out found a bottle at a store and am off to fetch it soon.

Got the cell up and running yesterday and salt is at a good level (3200). Understood on being tricked during SLAM. I'll shut that down as advised. Testing this morning got 25 with a 32 target, but the SWG was running on superchlorination, so it's hard to judge progress. Pool is looking nice a blue now. Dark junk on the edge is going away. Noticing some white floating debris in the water now. Not sure if that is new.

Found that the in floor spray heads were not cycling and had a stripped impeller. Finally realized it after running the broom into the same head for the 5th time. Got that replaced today, which should be good to get water going through all those lines - probably was getting a bit of seepage but through the closed ones, but more is better I'm sure. Dropped the steel spindle on the gear assembly down a port and had to fish it out using a extendable hotdog roasting stick broken in half - magnet didn't do it and grill tongs were too wide. I was using chopsticks to keep the T flaps up when dropping the assembly in - probably should have googled for a trick there but got the darn thing in after retrieving that.

Reactions: Teald024
I have 2 thoughts about your plan. waiting will only make this process take even longer. If it were my pool, I woudl not wait, I would just go get some liquid. Second, while I dont have one, so this is secodn hand, I think it is hard to fight an outbreak relying on a SWG. Stresses teh cell to start with, plus if bad enough, the outbreak consumes FC as quickly as it is being made. But do the math to verify this for your pool. Good luck.
Yev, the SLAM is underway since yesterday and the SWG is back in action to take over when complete. I'm not considering using the cell to fix the problem. I've been lurking on this forum for a while and have done a bit of reading and am using pool math, which is excellent, so I think it's all going to work out!

Reactions: Yev and Teald024
had the swg running super mode overnight and dosed liquid when dark. Morning test was 36 fc and .5 cc. cut back swg to normal for the daytime, tested at 28 mid day. Going to shut down swg soon, dose again when dark and see where it is in the AM. Trying to get the light working, but water is looking nice. Just need it to cool down a bit here. 115 and in the 110s for what seems like a month.

0A10A5ED-0797-42B2-9505-E5B73DFD03BD.jpeg

Last edited:
FC target will revert each time in Poolmath. We are reviewing a change in that for a future update. It is based on your CYA.

Maintain a CSI between -0.3 and 0 with a SWCG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.