Help choosing SWG

Diego168

Apr 9, 2019
Ct
I’m in the process of changing to salt system. I have a fiberglass pool about 14,000 gallons. Been reading reviews and threads about which swg to buy. The system I’m looking at are Hayward aqr15, Circupool rj30. Or Pentair.
My plan was to wire it to my pool pump timer.
I would like to buy something that is reliable. But from all the threads I read all have issues at times. Circupool has a long warranty but some people have had problems every 2 years replacing parts. Prices are similar so I would like to get something that has good quality and be reliable. Which would you guys recommend

Thank you

Keep in mind that for the most part you are only seeing part of the story... If a manufacturer builds 100,00 of something and 50 of them are bad and all you see is posts here from those 50 people, the product looks bad, when in reality, that is not the case...

Also.. my guess is that 50 to 75% of all SWCG "failures" are not failures at all and really just uninformed users that have no clue what they are doing..

Such as... "My cell is not generating any chlorine".. Really? Maybe if you killed all that green algae in your pool, it might... :)

I am a die-hard Pentair kind of guy, but in my opinion, their salt cells are made for people that have their automation.. I would not buy their cells without their automation system.

We see good reviews from both Hayward and CircuiPool SWCG's.. INYO also sells a SWCG, but so far, not many of our members have it.

Edit.. The most improtant thing is to make sure the cell is 2 x the volume of your pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:

Keep in mind that for the most part you are only seeing part of the story... If a manufacturer builds 100,00 of something and 50 of them are bad and all you see is posts here from those 50 people, the product looks bad, when in reality, that is not the case...

Also.. my guess is that 50 to 75% of all SWCG "failures" are not failures at all and really just uninformed users that have no clue what they are doing..

Such as... "My cell is not generating any chlorine".. Really? Maybe if you killed all that green algae in your pool, it might... :)

I am a die-hard Pentair kind of guy, but in my opinion, their salt cells are made for people that have there automation.. I would not buy their cells without their automation system.

We see good reviews from both Hayward and CircuiPool SWCG's.. INYO also sells a SWCG, but so far, not many of our members have it.

Edit.. The most improtant thing is to make sure the cell is 2 x the volume of your pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes I agree. That’s why I wiuld
Like to hear from people’s experience with their products.
Thanks for your reply.

I catch myself getting worried with any purchase every time. Oh My ! This refrigerator has 100 bad reviews........ wait.... how many did they sell last year..... 1.6 million. Oh, ok then, 99.99999 were great and nobody cared to leave good reviews but each and every problem went online to research and complain.

As far as the installation does everyone install a check valve before the heater now days? Or with current technology is it not necessary???
My plan was to put a check valve after my propane heater but in talking to pool store for advice they said it was not necessary. I thought you wanted a check valve to prevent damage to propane heater

A SWCG does not need the check valve.. If you were using a 3" chlorine tab feeder, then you must have a check valve.

The check valve prevents acidic water from flowing back into the heater.. Tab feeders have this problem, SWCG's don't have anything in them when they shut off...

Jim R.

A SWCG does not need the check valve.. If you were using a 3" chlorine tab feeder, then you must have a check valve.

The check valve prevents acidic water from flowing back into the heater.. Tab feeders have this problem, SWCG's don't have anything in them when they shut off...

Jim R.
Thank you, I thought you wanted a check valve after the heater so that what’s coming out from the cell would back up into the heater and corrode the heater coil. Thought I hear this is mostly related to poorly maintained PH

Reactions: gary300
If you have any type of automation, consider getting the same brand or compatible with your system. With no automation there is no concern of a specific brand. Hayward, Pentair and Circupool seem to work well for most. If you are looking for an economical solution there are some positive reviews of the Crystal Pure brand sold by INYO Pools. As Jim R. mentioned above be sure to size your cell at least 2 times the capacity of your pool (it won't hurt to go even bigger). My Circupool has been online since April and I am pleased with the performance. Proper water balance is the key to longevity of a salt water generator.

Reactions: Diego168
I retro fitted my pool with an SWG in 2005. I did not install a check valve before the cell and everything has been running fine. Jim is right on with his observation and wisdom. I installed a Hayward with a Tcell15. Back then it was one of the better options. Had I to do it over again I might consider something that offered some automation. But for now its not a big enough deal to re-do it again just for that. I have no problem walking an extra 20 feet to turn things on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diego168

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I’m leaning toward the aqr 15 from Hayward. Anybody knows if it’s true that they don’t honor the warranty if you install it your self.
I did all the electrical wiring for my pool and feel comfortable doing it myself. Would suck to get the warranty void .

Chances are if it works more than the 60 day homeowner installed warranty (my pentair was 60 day if i did it, the others are probably similar) it will go the distance.

I see that the Hayward qrt 15 says to maintain salinity at 2800-3500
Where the CircuPool says 3500-4200.
Can you guys elaborate as to why one would be better than the other. Is it better to keep lower salinity levels ?

Thank you

If you have any type of automation, consider getting the same brand or compatible with your system. With no automation there is no concern of a specific brand. Hayward, Pentair and Circupool seem to work well for most. If you are looking for an economical solution there are some positive reviews of the Crystal Pure brand sold by INYO Pools. As Jim R. mentioned above be sure to size your cell at least 2 times the capacity of your pool (it won't hurt to go even bigger). My Circupool has been online since April and I am pleased with the performance. Proper water balance is the key to longevity of a salt water generator.
I second that. I just installed a CIRCUPOOL RJ60PLUS for a customer that had no automation and a single speed pump. Easy install and very easy control to go along with it. It does exactly as promised. The key here is get the water completly in check as per TFP and then hit the switch. You will never look back.

+3 regardless of topic. Getting a Sony TV ??? Grab the blue ray player/sound bar to match and use one remote instead of 3.

I see that the Hayward qrt 15 says to maintain salinity at 2800-3500
Where the CircuPool says 3500-4200.
Can you guys elaborate as to why one would be better than the other. Is it better to keep lower salinity levels ?

Thank you
I have another customer with a Hayward Goldline t-15 cell and runs well after 10 years except we did a cell change out 2 weeks ago when the cell had enough after 9 years as per the serial number. As far as your concern for salinity ppm, that's up to the manufacturers. Circupool told me to keep it at 4000ppm to ensure trouble free performance and hayward told me to keep it 3000-3500 and not more. Go figure but I'm ok with it.

I have a Circupool SJ55. I have to keep my salt above 4000 for it to work. Had I known I needed such a high level of salt, I probably would have bought a different system.

I have a Circupool SJ55. I have to keep my salt above 4000 for it to work. Had I known I needed such a high level of salt, I probably would have bought a different system.
How are you checking your salt level. The displays are not that reliable. The only way is with the Taylor 1766 kit, but it'll work with less because I've done it. The difference between 3500 and 4000 is a drop in the bucket and what's the difference. In your pool there's a difference of 70 pounds of salt between the two numbers. Not even 2 complete bags.

How are you checking your salt level. The displays are not that reliable. The only way is with the Taylor 1766 kit, but it'll work with less because I've done it. The difference between 3500 and 4000 is a drop in the bucket and what's the difference. In your pool there's a difference of 70 pounds of salt between the two numbers. Not even 2 complete bags.
I’m using the Taylor test kit, same as you. I was at 4000 and just not getting chlorine production and not seeing any bubbles in the salt cell. I added one bag of salt last night, which brings my level up an additional 200ppm. I stirred it around and let the pump run all night without the SWG running. This morning, I turned on th SWG and it’s now producing chlorine. I had some notes from last year when I spoke with a tech at Circupool. He told me to keep the salt between 4000-4500.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.