mncw713

Jun 8, 2021
Medway Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello! We recently moved to a house with our first saltwater pool. It’s in ground, 25k gallons, Hayward salt cell, vinyl. We’re trying to balance the chemicals and have a Taylor test kit. We’re a bit confused. Currently salt is 3800, FC is 5, pH is 7.8, TA is 23, CYA is 28. There’s no borates test in the kit as we just discovered. I see what the app tells us to do, but I’m confused as to how we need to raise our alkalinity when the pH is already near the top of the recommended range. I’ve just ordered borate test strips. Would anyone please let me know how best to tackle this (what order) and why the alkalinity would be low if the pH is high? Thank you!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Before outlining some procedures to take, what type of Taylor test kit do you receive? It can make a difference.

While we wait to hear from you on the kit, here are some general thoughts to consider:
- SWG pools maintain FC better when the CYA is higher - around 70-80 ppm. Don't raise yours yet, just letting you know.
- TA can be raised with baking soda. The TA needs to be at least 50 or higher; ideally 60-80 should work well.
- How does your water look? That will determine what happens next. If it's cloudy at all, don't raise the CYA yet until you do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure you have no algae. Algae isn't always green, so you want to be sure before increasing the CYA. A higher CYA means a higher FC level to remove algae later.

Let's start there and we'll help more.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Before outlining some procedures to take, what type of Taylor test kit do you receive? It can make a difference.

While we wait to hear from you on the kit, here are some general thoughts to consider:
- SWG pools maintain FC better when the CYA is higher - around 70-80 ppm. Don't raise yours yet, just letting you know.
- TA can be raised with baking soda. The TA needs to be at least 50 or higher; ideally 60-80 should work well.
- How does your water look? That will keep to what happens next. If it's cloudy at all, don't raise teh CYA yet until you do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure you have no algae. Algae isn't always green, so you want to be sure before increasing the CYA. A higher CYA means a higher FC level to remove algae later.

Let's start there and we'll help more.

Thank you so much for responding! The kit is the TF-100. The pool looks clear.

The kit is the TF-100.
Perfect! :goodjob: In that case, Go ahead and get a sock soaking with stabilizer for a CYA goal of 70. If you're worried about going too high, you can shoot for 60 first and add more later. Let the sock soak for about 30 min then squeeze out all the mushy stabilizer. Also add the baking soda. Your pH may try to rise a little later, so acid will be used. But you do need the TA in that 60-80 range. Be sure about your TA test though. It should be in 10 ppm increments. 2 drops of #7, 5 drops of (green) #8, then count drops of #9 until Barbie pink. Multiply by 10. Example: 7 drops is a TA of 70.

Don't forget to update your signature. See mine as an example. We look at it for every post. :)

Perfect! :goodjob: In that case, Go ahead and get a sock soaking with stabilizer for a CYA goal of 70. If you're worried about going too high, you can shoot for 60 first and add more later. Let the sock soak for about 30 min then squeeze out all the mushy stabilizer. Also add the baking soda. Your pH may try to rise a little later, so acid will be used. But you do need the TA in that 60-80 range. Be sure about your TA test though. It should be in 10 ppm increments. 2 drops of #7, 5 drops of (green) #8, then count drops of #9 until Barbie pink. Multiply by 10. Example: 7 drops is a TA of 70.

Don't forget to update your signature. See mine as an example. We look at it for every post. :)
I will work on that

okay so my husband just told me he told me the wrong number for the TA which makes sense since you can’t have 2.3 drops. It’s 230!!! Explains the pH better too. New recommendations? Thank you!

No change right now. A TA of 230 is elevated sure, but focus more on the CYA and balancing the FC properly for now to avoid algae.

As for the TA, what you can is this: Let the pH hit 8.0 then use enough muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.0. Then simply allow the pH to rise naturally or use aeration to increase the pH again. That large (drop) swing in pH will help pull the TA down a little each time. It will take several sessions, but it will work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.