shoesrlh

Jun 10, 2021
fort wayne indiana
I have a 28k gal gunnite pool around 12years old. I have it professionally closed but otherwise I do everything myself. I rebuilt the pump and replaced the wood in the automatic cover box this spring. My pool water is crystal clear everything is running great1 I have a cartridge filter. I have two sets of filters and change them every month. I do not have any bather complaints the PH and Alkaline are in the normal range. My problem is a cannot seem to register any chlorine. I have shocked the pool three times since may 15th with three one pound bags of super shock and have added 10gal of 15% liquid chlorine. I also keep a couple pucks in the skimmer at all times. When I first add the shock it registers on the test strip but a hour latter nothing. Anybody have any ideas. I tried a new algaecide called, "no more problems" It claims you don't need chlorine any more except the occasional shock. Thanks in advance for any recomendations.

Welcome to the forum!
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Welcome to the forum!
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I will get the test kit. What is the available chlorine in liquid bleach for the 5ppm calculation?

I will get the test kit. What is the available chlorine in liquid bleach for the 5ppm calculation?

Download the pool math app on your phone! Its invaluable. In your 28000 gallon pool, about 1.5 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine equates to 5ppm. 180 ounces to be exact. If you're using bleach, use the pool math app and enter the strength to get your quantity needed.

I went to Clorox website its bleach is only 7.5% Menards sells 1 gal bottles of 15% for $3.99 I've put 3 gallons in on three different days and it didn't register the next day?

You need a test kit such as the one recommended above to find out what's going on. Otherwise you're just guessing with test strips. Until then, buy some of that 15% chlorine (i wish i could get 15% here!) And follow Marty's advice above until you can post test results here.

Don't worry about phosphates. Wait until you have a good test kit and post some numbers. Trying to piecemeal this will just get you into problems. You need to treat the cause and not the symptoms so to speak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I received my test kit yesterday.
7.2PH, .5 Chlorine, Calcium 600ppm, TA300, CYA 0, and 2000PPB Phosphates
Welcome to the forum!
I goy my test kit and posted the results in the thread, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I assume this pool had CYA in it before? If so, follow:
To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC. If FC at 5 or below, add LC to get to 10 using LC, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation. Test pH and adjust as necessary to get in the 7's.

Then add 30 ppm CYA via the sock method, follow the SLAM Process

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.