Hello. I need your help

I can’t figure out the pool math app. I can run the tests but don’t know what to do based on the results. I’ve drained the water down to 12 inches and refilled but it’s still cloudy and green tinged. I’m so disappointed not being able to get this right. Here are today’s results. Any suggestions? I run the pump constantly and clean the filter 1-2 times a day. Still cloudy and greenish... not as green as it was but not clear either.
cya 40
FC 15.5
CC .5
TA 200
pH 7.8

Have you watched this video about how to use the PoolMath app?
We have other videos on the TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool page that may be helpful to you.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Have you watched this video about how to use the PoolMath app?
We have other videos on the TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool page that may be helpful to you.
No I hadn’t seen that video. I think my Apple app keeps crashing. But I found the old pool calculator and was able to use that. I was able to see the drain today until I got in there and brushed again. I have hope that it’ll clear up if I keep the FC between 16-17 as much as possible. The color is prettier but it’s still chalky or milky pale green. I left the vacuum connected and left it at the bottom turned upside down. I heard that two bottom suction sources are better when trying to clear up algae. Don’t know if that’s true. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Flying Tivo
Delta,
You're beating yourself up without reason. The pool will come around it just takes time. Brush daily and keep the slam at slam level as much as possible and that's all you can do at this point. It'll look better every day compared to the day before and you'll start seeing deeper and deeper. As the deep clears up you may see organics and that's when you'll be able to get at it.. Once the pool has no organics itll move quickly.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Oh my gosh!!! This morning the pool is CRYSTAL CLEAR! It’s amazing, like a new birth. You all have been so wonderful and you guided me in the right direction. I’m so happy to have accomplished this and it’s all because of the advice of you folks at Trouble Free Pools. I’m sure you saved me a ton of money too once I quit buying all those fancy boutique chemicals. Thanks guys.
Gratefully yours,
Delta
P.S. LOL, Now what do I do to keep it like this? This morning the FC was 14.5. The pH is very high, at least 8.2 which is as high as the tester goes. The TA is about 220. CYA is 40.
Del

Great job!
Test your FC every day. Add enough to get the FC back to upper target range for your CYA - see FC/CYA Levels.
Once your FC is below 10 ppm, test your pH and TA. Use that data to add enough acid to lower your pH to 7.4. Test pH every few days and lower to 7.6 or so each time. Test TA when you are going to add acid.

Test your CYA every 3-4 weeks. More often if you get rain that overflows the pool.

Now for our shameless plug ----------
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Great job!
Test your FC every day. Add enough to get the FC back to upper target range for your CYA - see FC/CYA Levels.
Once your FC is below 10 ppm, test your pH and TA. Use that data to add enough acid to lower your pH to 7.4. Test pH every few days and lower to 7.6 or so each time. Test TA when you are going to add acid.

Test your CYA every 3-4 weeks. More often if you get rain that overflows the pool.

Now for our shameless plug ----------
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!
Thank you. Yes this organization deserves a donation for sure.
Awesome job Delta!!! Please post a picture so we can see your crystal clear water!!

Attachments

• FF42F725-69D3-43D6-9C5B-BD3154E74F7C.jpeg
    FF42F725-69D3-43D6-9C5B-BD3154E74F7C.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 44

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi again. I didn’t know whether to start a new thread or not. I’m adding to my original one. My pool is no longer green. It’s crystal clear but I don’t think the chemicals are quite right yet. Here are my numbers:
FC 4
CC 1
TA 200
pH 8.2 at least
CYA 30
My local source was out of muriatic acid but they had sodium bisulfate. Adding a whole 2 lb container (1/2 lb at a time) didn’t budge the pH. I bought another container. Should I add it or drive across town where they have the muriatic acid? And with my CYA at 30 do I need to add any stabilizer? What about that TA? It’s a little high right?
Thanks,
Del
17,500 gal above ground, cartridge filter, vinyl liner.

Since your water is crystal clear, let's fine tune your issues one at a time.....

1. Always foremost, FC of 4 is fine but not much lower
2. CC of 1 is often misinterpreted as a need to SLAM. Perhaps, but I would first try to get rid of it by elevating FC to around 8 ppm and holding it for 48 hours and then retest CC's.

3. Gather up that muriatic.....I am no fan of sodium bisulfate. We'll get your pH and TA down with it but I would like to see you acknowledge your elevated chlorine and then work on the pH and TA within 24 hours or so.

Since your water is crystal clear, let's fine tune your issues one at a time.....

1. Always foremost, FC of 4 is fine but not much lower
2. CC of 1 is often misinterpreted as a need to SLAM. Perhaps, but I would first try to get rid of it by elevating FC to around 8 ppm and holding it for 48 hours and then retest CC's.

3. Gather up that muriatic.....I am no fan of sodium bisulfate. We'll get your pH and TA down with it but I would like to see you acknowledge your elevated chlorine and then work on the pH and TA within 24 hours or so.
Duraleigh,
Last night I added the recommended amount of liquid chlorine (75oz) to raise FC to 8. This morning it was only 5.5, up 1 point from yesterday. The CC was 0. Even though it’s sunny out today should I add more chlorine to try to keep it at 8 or should I wait until this evening? The TA did come down from 200 to 170 but the pH didn’t change.
Thank you
Del

+1 what zea said.
Oh gosh. You’re not going to believe this. That last message “+1 what zea said” didn’t make sense to me. So I tried to go back and see if it was something being discussed that I’d missed, or if it was a typo. After clicking and clicking I finally found the thread with all the messages in order with who they were from. Wow. I guess I didn’t know how to use a forum. I was always just seeing one message, the most recent, alone and was unaware of the continuity of my questions and all the responses. If I didn’t see the little red flag up there I didn’t know how to get to the messages or where to put my reply. I had a feeling of communicating with one entity but seeing all your individual messages in a timeline with my responses in order puts things in a different perspective. I might go back and respond whereever I missed your comment. Ugh I feel like such a doofus. And I see there’s a way to log all my test results? I wish I’d been doing that during this entire two week swamp adventure. I just didn’t realize. And I see now that of that course I shouldn’t have started a new thread. I’m going to learn how to log test results but you know, the pool math app from Apple closes the second I click on anything. I can only use the old app. Maybe if I’d use a laptop instead of my IPhone the forum and apps would make more sense to my ADD unfocused depressed brain. So sorry about the extra thread and if I didn’t answer each time haha. I‘m a retired systems analyst so you’d think I’d be smarter. That’s okay, thanks to COVID I have endless hours of uninterrupted free time to learn. Oh I also didn’t have the overnight test process right at all. Now I get it and will do that test tonight. You people have been so nice not to jump on me when I clearly didn’t know what I was doing. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.