Hello from Toronto

jsfreeman

Apr 15, 2021
Toronto
Hi all,

We recently purchased a home with a pool and are trying to learn everything we can about it. I've never owned a pool before so it's all new to me. We hired a pool company this season to open/close/maintain because we have no idea what we're doing, but hoping to learn from watching them and reading these forums so we can take control of things and save money next year. So far we're mostly just overwhelmed :). We opened the pool this week - probably too early to be practical because it's darn cold outside but it will stay above freezing. We took a polar bear dip yesterday just because we could, then ran back inside to the fireplace!

Pool guy said it would be fine to run the heater and pump 24/7 but I poked around the manuals and watched our fuel usage over the first few hours and decided that looked expensive. So we're going with no heater and pump 8h/day for now until we know the chemistry is right.

Anyway, that's about all I've got. Hoping to troll these forums and read the Pool School articles over the next few months so I gain some knowledge and get some confidence to maintain a healthy pool next year!

For heating a pool, it is imperative to cover it. Otherwise you will use copious amounts of energy to keep it heated. A simple, low cost solar cover will dramatically decrease your energy needs for heating.

Fill out your signature when you can -- Create Your Signature - Further Reading

Hey JS and Welcome !!!
hoping to learn from watching them and reading these forums so we can take control of things and save money next year
Sit back. We got you. Read up on the ABCs that Marty posted and you are on you way !!! Ask any questions at any time in the appropriate sub forum.
So far we're mostly just overwhelmed :)
You are here now and it’s smoooooooth sailing ahead.
Hello from Toronto
It’s been a while since I spoke Canadian..... but here goes.... *cracks knuckles*
C0C7EB64-3B65-45B0-99E1-C4C9477E98A8.jpeg