Jul 30, 2022
Winnie, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to make a quick intro and express my appreciation for the community. About 9 years ago we had Anthony and Sylvan put in a 23,500 gal freeform gunite pool, pebble-tec finish, it was called a sports pool 4' on both ends and 6' in the middle. It has a 5 person hot tub w/ cascading spillway into the middle of the pool and a weeping wall / waterfall on one end. We live in a rural area about 60 miles east of Houston, so pretty much everything at our place is DIY, pool included. I have done OK with managing the pool chemistry and upkeep. There is always something to fix, circuit board in the heater, o-rings, no drain acid washing the pebble-tec, check valves, ect. So like it or not, I have learned a lot about keeping a pool running. This year has been especially challenging, in the 9 years we have had the pool we have never seen the trees shed leaves and "new bloom worms" like they did this year. We have 3 young , but mature oak trees in close proximity to the pool. We are usually able to keep up with it through the spring, but this year I threw in the towel and just waited for the trees to finish their business and cleaned up afterwards. It was so bad that we are actually looking into putting a pool cover on it this year. We just did our first drain and refill due to CYA. The CYA was around 180. We drained about 5k gals three times and the CYA is now around 50.

What brings me here is a combination of elevated chemical cost, and really just hoping to establish a CONSISTENT chemical maintenece program, that is good for the pool and the guy taking care of the pool (me). This pool is my wife's baby, we all know how it goes, if they're happy, we're happy. Of course the deal was when we put it in, that she would take care of it, and I would help with the big stuff. And we all know how that goes as well. I have followed different protocols found on the web, pool store, and friends experiences that have pools, but really up until now its just been "fix the biggest problem of the moment" instead of what really works, which is a good maintenance program. So I surrender and join the pool guru community, in hopes that I can do a better job of maintaining, and not fighting fires.

Thanks,
BudTPool.png

Hi and welcome to TFP! You sure have come to the right place to make YOUR pool care a LOT easier! I am going share a set of links I put together for new pool owners:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

The first thing you need to do is get a good test kit as seen here: Test Kits Compared

I hear you on the one that really wants the pool is not always the one that will take care of it. Just ask my husband :roll: LOL He main job is to mix up the water as he swims LOL. I do just about everything else.

There are many of us from the Houston area that are on the forum. I use LC as you do and others have the SWCG so lots of support for either way you wish to chlorinate your pool.
The info from @kimkats will be very helpful for you to start to manage the pool per the TFP methodology.
Get familiar with the FC/CYA Levels as that is a foundation block of TFP. So happy you were able to reduce your CYA to the acceptable level when using LC.
Update your signature - go to Settings on the left and then to Signature to input your pool information and equipment info. See mine or others for ideas as to what to include.
Good Luck. Glad you found the TFP forum.

Thank you to each of you, and a wealth of information no doubt. Will definitely get up to speed on the site and putting the methodologies into practice. I've never fought the pool like we have fought it this year. I know it is a lot hotter than what we have seen in the past (89F) and I'm sure that is compounding the problem. Whatever the problem, I know there is a solution, we just have to stay with it until we get a handle on it. Thank you all again and I look forward to becoming a contributing member of the community.