Mar 22, 2023
Dordogne, France
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello Folks,
My name is Peter and I am an early retired brit who is lucky enough to live in beautiful France.
We have a newly installed pre formed fibreglass pool inside a previously failing pool structure. The issues are now a distant memory :cool:
I am looking forward to getting the pool opened in a few weeks and enjoying the summer and hopefully many years to come. Currently I am researching for a variable speed pump and changing the sand filter for glass media (AFM).

Reactions: PJinFrance
Hey Peter and Welcome from across the pond !!!!
Currently I am researching for a variable speed pump
They are GREAT. Mine runs 24/7 at a low speed for the same energy as it would take an equally sized single speed pump to run less than 3 hours.
and changing the sand filter for glass media (AFM).
Abort mission !!!! The best anyone can say about glass is that it works as good as sand. So why spend oodles more on glass?

Reactions: PJinFrance
A sand filter won our water clarity pic contest, against the other 2 filters and at least one sand filter using glass, all maintained by enthusiasts who are borderline fanatics. It was no easy feat.

Screenshot_20230322_190640_Chrome.jpg

When properly maintained, a sand filter will remove particles 3X smaller than the human eye can see. Anything past that is nothing but bragging rights.

And to top that off, as the filter gets dirty, the trapped crud filters even finer crud. Your environment doesn't change based upon your filter so ultimately your yard will decide how fine of filtration you get, no matter which filter you use, in my opinion.