Hello from Nevada - DIY Owner Builder (I hope) future pool

HighDesertOasis

Aug 26, 2020
Near Carson City Nevada
Hi all, my lovely wife has convinced me to go the DIY route with building an in-ground vinyl lined pool.

I have a quote from Pool Warehouse - but I am not sure on the equipment, etc they recommend.

Can I post that quote to get opinions/guidance?

I have also searched and lurked on the forums for a bit - so I know there are folks who have DIY'd their own pool builds. Over the course of the past couple of months, I have been stonewalled by PB who refuse to even answer questions, since I am wanting to do this myself - I guess because it bites into their profits - so it has been a very frustrating process so far.

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP :)

You sure can and there are not many business's that twill answer questions other than will you build me a pool :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome. So, I'll post this here: I have left the quoted prices for this kit.

I have been struggling with what I need as far as electrical. I can't seem to find an electrician who knows pools in my area (other than already working for a pool installer... and they won't talk to me.)

So, the pump and all of that - from what I read, these are considered good equipment. I don't HAVE to buy the pump and such from this company - so I am open to suggestions on what might be better for this size pool, etc.

I am working on a $35k budget, which I hope I can stay within. :)

OptionsDescriptionPrice
Pool TypeHampton
Pool Size20' x 40' Hampton Pool Kit (designed up to 8' deep)
Pool Walls42" steel6,750.00
Pool Wall BracesBraces - Turnbuckle Fold Over Brace (Heavy Duty) - Standard On Steel Kits0.00
Pool CopingCoping - Cantilever Coping For Bricks or Stone Around The Pool & Step0.00
Corner RadiusHampton Corners - 2' Reversed Radius Corners100.00
Pool LinerLiner - 30 Mil - Caribbean Sand Stone750.00
Pool BottomBottom Dig - 42" Wall Standard Diving Pool 3'4" Shallow End With 8' Deep End0.00
Pool Polymer StepNone0.00
Pool Liner Over Steel Pool StepSteel Step - 20’ Hampton Steel Step1,995.00
Pool Step LocationLocation - Center End Of Pool0.00
Pool BenchNone0.00
In Pool SpaSwim Up Spa - 8ft Cozy Cove Plumbed With 6 Jets, Cantilever, White1,595.00
Pool Step Jet KitStep Jets - 2 White Spa Jets With Air Intake125.00
Deck JetsDeck Jets - 4 Deck Jets395.00
AccessoriesDescriptionPrice
Pool PumpPump - 2 HP Excel Professional Grade Pool Pump395.00
Pool FilterFilter - Hayward 4820 DE Filter, Multi-Port Valve, 96 GPM, 2"895.00
Pool SkimmerSkimmer - 2 Aqua Genie Skimmers And 1 Return250.00
Salt Water Chlorination SystemsChlorination - In-line Auto Chlorinator95.00
Plumbing KitPool Plumbing Kit - 2" Platinum Plumbing Kit, 200' FLEX PVC595.00
Pool CleanerCleaner Style - Hayward AquaNaut 400525.00
Pool Light #1Light - 500 WATT WHITE LIGHT 120 VOLT WITH 50' CORD AND NICHE395.00
Pool Light #2None0.00
Pool HeaterHeater - Hayward Universal H-Series 250k btu digital natural gas2,095.00
Pool Diving BoardNone0.00
Pool SlidesNone0.00
Pool AlarmNone0.00
Pool HandrailHandrail - 2 Deluxe Stainless Steel Handrails With Escushions150.00
Pool LadderLadder - Deluxe Stainless Steel Deep End Ladder With Escushions0.00
Pool Handrail & Ladder AnchorsAnchors - Polymer Deck Anchors For Ladder And Hand Rail0.00
Pool Wall PaddingSteel Padding - 2 Rolls of 42" Padding For Walls, 4 Cans Adhesive & Seam Tape195.00
Pool Maintenance KitKit Style - Safety Rope & Rope Anchors0.00
Lift Gate ServiceLift Gate Service - Curb Side, LTL Freight Unloaded by Customer With Lift Gate, Forks Needed50.00
Ship To StateShip To State & Lead Time (Allow 10 - 12 Weeks Before Your Order Ships) - Nevada595.00
Total​
$ 17,945.00​

Filter: DE filter is the best filter... That is great when you have a clear pool and can be death when and if it turns green because it filters so good...

pump: Do not get that pump, it is a 1 speed 2 HP pump (1500 watts, 12 hours a day $65 to $100 dollars a month) and will run your electricity bill up, WAY UP... You want a VSF pump, yes they are expensive but when you run them at the cost of a light bulb they pay for themselves Average 400 watts, 12 hours a day $12 to $20 dollars a month... most run these pumps 24/7 at 100 watts or so :)
if you get a VSF pump also install a whole house surge protector and a pump surge protector, the electrician will also know how to install these.

Chlorination - In-line Auto Chlorinator: We do not recommend these as they use 3 inch tabs and your CYA will be out of control by the 3rd month of your pool being open.. Get a salt water generator or use liquid chlorine to sanitize your pool. Along with a TF 100 test kit :)

Light: That light is a tried and true light, most are going with low voltage 12V LED lights now.. Not sure if they have that but something to think about

plumbing: Most do not use the flex tube as schedule 40 2 inch hard pipe is better as it does not flex and has no way to close or slow down flow....

Electrical: call around to local electricians and ask for quotes to run electrical. most electricians can install pool pumps and run electrical with no problems.

I hope this helps :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.