Hello from Minnesota!

tommygunMN

Feb 1, 2020
Minnesota
Hi there. So glad I found this forum. I am beyond ignorant when it comes to pool ownership. I am building a new home in 2020 that will include a pool so I want to learn as much as possible so I can make the right decisions from the start. I don’t even know what questions I should be asking and welcome any and all advice. Thank you and glad to be here.

Welcome, tommygunMN!

You might want to start a thread in the "under construction" forum to tell everyone more about what you're thinking for your build. Where in this great state are you? (Greater twin cities area or elsewhere?)

Welcome to TFP :wave: Be shore to post lots of pics when you are building your pool and ask lots of questions. The folks here are great at answering your questions :cheers:

Thank you. NW suburbs in the Twin Cities. Does this forum suggest local contractors that follow the best practices suggested on TFP? I will create a thread in the under construction section later this spring.
Not as such. You may get recommendations from users if requested - though the TC's are not the hotbed of pool contractors in general I presume. Here is an article about picking a PB. How to Pick a Pool Builder - Trouble Free Pool Or are you considering doing an owner build (OB)?

Thank you for your response. I will not be doing anything on my own. Ideally, I would like the experts here to guide / educate me so I can make the correct decisions. I want this to be “paint by number” for the PB that I select...down to part numbers. I picture running this like an RFP per say.

I am all about that approach. Have them all quote the pool you want. They will likely vary their replies but it will get you as close as possible for comparison. The extent to which they diverge from your specs may help guide your decision. The design itself is where most people aren’t able to/interested in coming up with what they want themselves. PB’s can be very helpful there. I gave our PB’s a several page list of specs to include and the design.