Hello from Melville NY--Long Island.

You show your CYA is 50. That is fine. Follow the SLAM Process. It is well spelled out in the article.
Raise your FC to 20 ppm and maintain at that level by testing and adding chlorine at least 3-4 times per day.
Brush and vac your pool each day.
Once the pool water is crystal clear, do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Thank you, this is the inconsistency that I’ve been getting that others have been saying to get the CYA down even lower. That will allow me to use less chlorine.
Couldn't hurt to attend the SLAM discussion today at 5PM EDT:

will try. Thanks!

Saturday update. 11:20 In the morning. Put in three more gallons of bleach. A couple hours later we’re maintaining about 25 on the chlorine. CYA is down to 30. The pool is looking much better. We just keep on plugging along waiting for it to clear up. We are so hopeful

Now that your CYA is only 30, you can let the FC fall to the proper SLAM level of 12. Being twice as high for too long could effect the liner. So just let the FC fall on its own to 12. Remember to always use the FC/CYA Levels.

Reactions: Paulsb01
Sunday morning follow up.
ch dropped to about 10 overnight.
color is so much better but not perfect. 3 gallons of bleach. And we will see how the day goes. CYA is virtually 0. image.jpg

Help please. I’m not certain what to do next.
I know I need to add stabilizer. But do I also address the hardness and ph? Keep in mind I have added nothing other than Chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pH test is invalid with FC above 10 ppm. The pH is addressed prior to starting SLAM.

CH is of no concern with a vinyl liner pool. It shows out of range because in most cases, 50 ppm CH is needed to keep the water from foaming.

The SLAM Process specifically points out a CYA of 30 minimum is needed. Below 60 ppm is best. So you should add 20 ppm CYA worth of stabilizer using the sock method. Assume you have 30 ppm CYA for FC level purposes. Test CYA level 24 hours after the material is fully dissolved from the sock.

Monday morning progress! Chlorine at 15 with FC at 0. The CYA is now at 30. After adding in 4 pounds of stabilizer yesterday. Via the sock method. And you can almost make out the aqua bot all the way at the bottom of the pool. Still not as clear as it should be. Somewhat not sure what my next step should be. Because the pool at this point is not getting any clearer than it presently is. Continued advice in guidance is certainly appreciated.

+1. Now you have a much easier fight SLAM-ing the diluted leftovers. It the same process but you’ll need much less chlorine with the lower CYA.

But the progress that you’ve already made isn’t all that apparent yet so don’t lose hope. You’ve accomplished a TON and the results will come soon.

So your filter says Sta Right. Is that a sand filter or cartridge?

If it is a sand filter you might want to try some DE.

Otherwise this is the hard part. Keep the pool at SLAM and let the filter do its work.

From an earlier post, it seems to be a cartridge filter. Also, clarifier was used. Might be time to break it down and clean the cartridges again. Has the filter pressure increased much since the SLAM was started?
Filters was deep cleaned Saturday. Pressure is low. Not even the Aqua bot is showing Greenn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.