Hello from Maryland

Jun 29, 2018
Elkridge, MD
Just started with they BBB method with my pool this year. Nothing fancy, just an 18 foot round above ground pool. So far so good. I got a Taylor test kit. I seem to have everything in line except my FC. After a little more reading, I guess my issue is that I need to keep adding bleach every day. Didn't realize I needed to do that.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

To be honest, we refrain from using the"BBB" moniker anymore as most pools never (or seldom) need the last two "B"'s. Folks heard BBB and ran out and stocked up on Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda, generally unnecessarily. Most pools, once stabilized only need chlorine and muriatic acid.

We use TFPC now. It relates to Trouble Free Pool Care. You only add to your pool what is needed and pool owner testing is required to achieve it.

You do need to add chlorine every day. It is a consumable item. Or, as one of our esteemed Experts says, the Pool is like a Pet, even if you do not want to play with it that day, it still needs to be fed.

Welcome to TFP!

I'm gonna slightly assume here in this advice.......
Assuming your pool is 4feet deep it will hold just a spit over 6000 gallons. With that a gallon of 6% bleach (again, an assumption that you're using household bleach) would add 3.5ppm of chlorine. Seeing a 3 to 4ppm drop per day is slightly on the high side but not unheard of, especially with the blazing heat weve been seeing. What is your cya level???

Also, if you are using 6% bleach, you may wanna look around for stuff targeted for pools. The higher concentration of chlorine in these products likely will work out to be a better deal.

Yes, standard 18 foot round, 4 foot deep pool. CYA is 40. Using standard Clorox bleach. I understand finding a higher concentration bleach. But does brand matter as long as I get the right concentration? I mean if I can find 12 percent bleach at the dollar store, is that fine?

LC is liquid chlorine. Clorox no longer markets 'plain' bleach. They have additives called Cloromax. We have seen many instances of foaming after using Cloromax. Most other plain bleaches are now 6%. So look for Liquid Chlorine at Walmart (Pool Essentials), Home Depot, etc. Check the dates. There is a number 18XXX on the bottle. The XXX represents the number of days in 2018 the bottle was filled. Look for stuff less than a couple months old.

Be wary of dollar stores. Most bleach there do not show concentrations and thus is less than 3%.

Aerate means use a fountain, bubbler, spa jets, 10 kids playing in the pool for hours, etc.

Just running your pump does very little. Unless your return jets are pointing to the surface and the force is enough to break that surface significantly.