geobass76

Apr 6, 2021
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Relatively new pool owner needing help. I've been lurking on here on and off trying to learn. In the meantime, had a pool guy coming out to keep our pool maintained. This winter we had our early 80's era pool replastered and refilled. And it is currently green. Our pool guy claims we have metal in our well water and won't add any more chemicals until we agree to drain the pool, chlorinate our well, and refill the pool (or fill the pool with water trucked in). We've had the pool water and our well water tested and the pool read 0.0 ppm iron, 0.3 ppm copper; our well tested 0.1ppm iron and 0.1 ppm copper. I performed a bucket test and the water cleared right up once I added chlorine to the bucket. I mentioned this to the pool guy and told him I disagreed with his opinion of metal in the pool and he quit, leaving me with a green pond in my backyard.

I'm looking into buying a new test kit and performing a SLAM on my pool to see if I can get it back into shape.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, (no pun intended), if your copper is 0.3 that is a potential problem - more so than iron because copper stains are a royal pain. But copper is usually introduced from a store product, a bad heater core, or old plumbing, not a well. Not impossible I suppose, just not that common. Wells usually produce iron. Keep in mind that even if your well tests are low (below 0.3 threshold), those levels would increase during pool fill.

As for algae, we use the SLAM Process here at TFP. If you read that page you'll understand the concept. If you were to start a SLAM Process, the elevated FC level should cause any metals in the water to react (color change and/or stains), so you'd know for sure. But in either case, if there is algae, it has to be removed before treating for metals unless of course if you chose to do a water exchange. It goes without saying to be very careful with wafer exchanges to avoid pool pop-up. That would be a very bad thing.

Give that some thought and let us know if you have any questions.

Welcome fellow Texan to TFP. Are you north or south of Houston if you are on well water?
I know Taylor Technologies has a test kit for Copper and Iron but not sure it may cost.
Definitely need to pursue the SLAM if you have algae.

I'm in Needville, which is just SW of Houston. I don't think the copper is coming from the well. I have a heater that is not working hooked up to the pool and is not bypassed, and the pool guy had my pH level down to 6.3 to help acid wash the new plaster. So I think the acidic water may have caused some leeching from the heater coils, but that's solely a guess on my part.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX