Hello from an excited Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma!!

Denise, your pool is real!! I know it's hard to believe, isn't it?? Before long we'll all be floating away!

It IS hard to believe!! Floating....sounds sooo good! I'm currently working. Too dark this AM to set up the hose and water before I left the house :(
Hopefully it will be ok to just water early this evening. I work tomorrow too but should be able to get it done. I forgot to set up the hose yesterday while it was light out and it's just too hazardous out there (and I'm too klutzy) for me to have set it up this morning. Tomorrow it will be in place and ready to go.

Denise, congratulations on a fantastic looking pool! It really starts to come together when you can see the real shape with the gunite. It seems like they did a great job, and I love your design! Now we are both part of the Suz/Helen Copycat Steps Club! ;-)

I like that I get credit, because I love the steps, but it really goes to Suz! My plaster guys were set back a lot of time dealing with so many steps with tile trim. They had planned on doing two pools today, but got out of here at 2:30-ish.

Denise, congratulations on a fantastic looking pool! It really starts to come together when you can see the real shape with the gunite. It seems like they did a great job, and I love your design! Now we are both part of the Suz/Helen Copycat Steps Club! ;-)

Thanks, Jamie! There's a couple rough spots but overall we are happy.

Copycat Steps Club- It's a great club to be in!

- - - Updated - - -

I like that I get credit, because I love the steps, but it really goes to Suz! My plaster guys were set back a lot of time dealing with so many steps with tile trim. They had planned on doing two pools today, but got out of here at 2:30-ish.

As long as they finished YOUR POOL that's all that matters!!

Watered my new baby when I got home from work this evening. It was VERY dry. I watered for about an hour with a spray nozzle. Tried to soak it really well. I'm going to try to water again in the morning before work (hose is in place and ready!), but I don't know if hubby will let me since it will still be dark out. I won't be home from work until after dark tomorrow night. So, either way, it'll be dark out.

I took some time and walked the stairs, stepped in and out of the bubbler shelf, and got in the spa. It all seems good! I do regret making such a hasty decision on the triangular corner benches and wish I would have thought to do L- shaped benches in the corners instead. Oh well, not going to dwell on it. What's there will work.

I I haven't heard when plumbing or electrical is coming...

I love all of your options! We are doing a vinyl pool so i am always so amazing by all of the options that gunite allows. I can't wait to see the next steps. This is the fun part!

nini you can set a sprinkler or two up on a timer to water for you.

Kim

One word of caution for this. If you do it, be careful about watering outside of the pool. Our builder told us about one customer that did this and he turned everything outside the pool shell into a swamp with overspray. It's going to rain eventually anyway so mud is an inevitability, but while the weather is good and things are dry, it's just one more unneeded challenge for the crew.

plat.

My pool is so small I can stand in the bubbler shelf and hit the whole thing with a spray nozzle. I do have to walk over to the spa and spray directly inside it though.
Hubby said he'd water today while I am at work. I watered this morning before I left and I'll do it again when I get home.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Denise, I could stand on my steps and spray the whole pool with the exception of the back wall of the fire pit.
TM, when I was doing it, the weather was colder, so I was always ready to get it over with! But, I did enjoy those first couple of "hose downs".

The waiting is the hardest part. I have this conspiracy theory that cement really doesn't need to be watered. It's just to give us owners something to do to keep us busy. Like telling someone to boil water and tear up sheets for a birth. Perfect way to keep someone out of the way....

plat.

I love all of your options! We are doing a vinyl pool so i am always so amazing by all of the options that gunite allows. I can't wait to see the next steps. This is the fun part!

Hi Karen! Your pool is HUGE!! I would gladly give up some options for more space but that's not an option in my yard.
Thanks for stopping by my thread!

Does it really feel like you're bonding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is a sense of "caring" I guess. I think it's like having a new car or a new home, you take great care at first until the " newness" wears off. Then I imagine it becomes work like everything else.

Denise, I could stand on my steps and spray the whole pool with the exception of the back wall of the fire pit.
TM, when I was doing it, the weather was colder, so I was always ready to get it over with! But, I did enjoy those first couple of "hose downs".

I'm grateful for the mild temps. I cringed at the idea of warring in the freezing cold. Had we gotten started earlier on, I would have froze as well. Guess I have the utilities to thank for that!

The waiting is the hardest part. I have this conspiracy theory that cement really doesn't need to be watered. It's just to give us owners something to do to keep us busy. Like telling someone to boil water and tear up sheets for a birth. Perfect way to keep someone out of the way....

plat.

You are probably right, plat. My PB initially said I didn't need to water. The gunite guy said the same thing until he checked the weather this week and saw 80 degrees forecast. Then he said I could water a could of days but that's all that was needed.

Didn't water last night. Came home sick and went straight to bed. Hubby didn't water yesterday for me, so it only happened once but at least it was early in the morning while it was cool so it didn't dry as fast. I have appts all morning so watering when I get home this afternoon.

It's getting closer! I think it's funny about watering the gunite to just give us something to do. Haha ! I loved watering the gunite at first because I was on vacation. But when work started back up it was more difficult to squeeze it in. The yard was a mess. I had to be careful not to trip on everything laying around; there was rebar sticking out here and there, just waiting to catch me off guard. But the watering definitely was a bonding experience. Spending that time, waiting for the pretty stuff to be added was calming. We love our pool. It's not work to clean and maintain it. We just truly enjoy being out there. You are so close! Keep enjoying the moment. It will be over soon and then the fun really begins![emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddly enough I watched two of my neighbor's pools built and no mention of watering down the gunite. I even asked since it was summer with temperatures in the 100 area. The Gunite crew sprayed a purple color material on the surface, which they said retained moisture. The homeowner was told that if they sprayed water on it, that would remove it and they would then have to keep watering it. I guess procedures may be different here in the extreme hot and dry desert climate.

We had the same gunite company. I think they did a great job. Are you doing pebbletec?

They arrived about 15 minutes ago! Nice nice guys! They are going to give me additional steps at the bottom so it's not so high, we discussed the spa seating heights and it looks all good so far!!!

It IS a truly happy Gunite Monday!!

image_zps6fx05qmd.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

They didn't mention to water the gunite to us. Hopefully it will be ok. We had a few days of rain since it was installed.

Got a nice surprise! Waterline tile is being installed!! Pictures forthcoming as progress happens :) I had him show me the tile to make certain he was going to install the correct one. He told he he HAS installed the wrong one before!

I also made the decision to go with the Omnilogic instead of the Prologic so that we can control things from a computer or our phones and not be tied to a remote. Upgrade was $850. Not sure if that's good or not... It is what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Oddly enough I watched two of my neighbor's pools built and no mention of watering down the gunite. I even asked since it was summer with temperatures in the 100 area. The Gunite crew sprayed a purple color material on the surface, which they said retained moisture. The homeowner was told that if they sprayed water on it, that would remove it and they would then have to keep watering it. I guess procedures may be different here in the extreme hot and dry desert climate.

Too bad they don't all use that magic purple stuff! Watering got old after the 3 or 4 time ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.