Hello from an excited Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma!!

Denise, how long did picking out tile and coping take? At least that stressful part is done.

Do you have a dig date yet?

I picked out a tile right away and a plaster was picked several weeks before the tile. The hard part now is trying to match stone to the tile I chose. And pick a cap stone (i.e. Flagstone or travertine) for the spa, firepit and pedestals/wall. I'm not doing a stone coping. It will be cantilevered but scored to look like it has coping. The concrete will be salted and it will have an interval color in a brown shade.

No no dig date yet. I was supposed to hear back from him last night but never did. I texted him today to see where we are and get some answers on some pricing details, but I didn't hear back from him. It's a bit frustrating.
I'm working all day tomorrow. Dig will most likely not happen Thursday. I guess it will happen when it happens.

"everything will be alright in the end. So if it's not alright, then it is not yet the end." (sonny, the best exotic marigold hotel)

love it!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Latest update:

So...I was supposed to hat back from the PB on Monday evening about some possible change details and prices so we can finally set a dig date. I'm still waiting. I have texted him yesterday and again today. Finally got an answer today to my text telling me he would have it to me tonight.

I'm still waiting. Nothing but Crickets.

*sigh* ...texted him this AM (8:00) letting him know I still hadn't received the promised email. Got a response within 30 min. telling me he was at a job site and he would "check his email" but to give him a few hours. Still waiting. My guess is he still hasn't worked on it.

Well, that's the funny thing. No dig date until we get the details ironed out. Can't get the details ironed quickly because he takes a week or longer to get back to me about any possible changes.

He estimates completion at 6-10 was depending on weather and if he has to wait on me for $$ (i.e. extra cash for glass tile or larger pergola).

I asked him about travertine for capping the spa (7x7 square with one side an infinity edge with glass tile) and 2 pedestals (2x2) and he quoted me almost $1700, which I think is ridiculously outrageous. At 29sq ft, this makes it about $57.00/sq ft. When asked how much of that is labor he said the cost is just the cost and why would I want to know?
Is it wrong for me to try to get a break down? I found travertine online for fairly cheap and thought I could save some $$. It's the good stuff from Turkey, from Travertine Mart in Florida.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should get a break down in the costs! I would get a print out of the tile you have picked out and share it with him as well as letting him know you are also willing to find someone else to put it on! You just wanted to give him a shot at it!

kim

Well, that's the funny thing. No dig date until we get the details ironed out. Can't get the details ironed quickly because he takes a week or longer to get back to me about any possible changes.

He estimates completion at 6-10 was depending on weather and if he has to wait on me for $$ (i.e. extra cash for glass tile or larger pergola).

I asked him about travertine for capping the spa (7x7 square with one side an infinity edge with glass tile) and 2 pedestals (2x2) and he quoted me almost $1700, which I think is ridiculously outrageous. At 29sq ft, this makes it about $57.00/sq ft. When asked how much of that is labor he said the cost is just the cost and why would I want to know?
Is it wrong for me to try to get a break down? I found travertine online for fairly cheap and thought I could save some $$. It's the good stuff from Turkey, from Travertine Mart in Florida.

I think I had a similar situation with the same pool builder. Ended up going with another company which was much more responsive and so far, so good...

I think I had a similar situation with the same pool builder. Ended up going with another company which was much more responsive and so far, so good...

I'm sure it will be a great product, but this particular man wears several hats there. I'm just super anxious to get moving.

I'm glad yours is going well! My friend at work who used your PB had good things to say about him.

Well, the last few weeks have been full of waiting on very very slow responses from my PB. I certainly had much opportunity to increase in patience!
Finally it looks like we will be digging this week, or so I've been told... I was hoping for Monday since the grandbabies are out of school (pre-k) and they all want to watch the big trucks in Nini's yard, but I think it will more likely happen Tuesday or Wed. I'm not getting too excited until I get an actual DAY and TIME.

I made some changes to the side of the pool where we had the pedestals. We will still have those but there will be a wall in the center connecting them with 3 scuppers (either brass or copper) and the pedestals will be plumbed for firebowls in the future.
And, after visiting the stone yard about 6 times, I finally picked my stone- for better or worse. I just can't look any more.

Also, got rid of the Polaris! Hubby has agreed to a robot. A GOOD one. I'm looking at getting the Dolphin M5 (M500), but it's hard to find. I don't need it for a while so I can take my time searching.

As soon as they get the shell in place and I get a sq ft measurement of benches, steps and spa negative edge, I can order my glass tile. I'm pretty sure it'll be the Lightstreams tile. I'm going to order a couple of samples on Monday.

I've been working extra a lot in anticipation of out of pocket expenses, but I've been popping in here and there. Boy! Lots of new builds!! I'm behind on most of the threads.

I'm shocked that you don't have a hole in the yard yet.

Ooooohhhh, Lightstreams tile! That sure is gonna give some bling! I am also having 3 scuppers but mine will be either out of stone or cast concrete. I was worried about putting metals into my pool, but perhaps that isn't true. Anyone???

Dig day is so exciting!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, what stone did you pick?

Nini exciting week coming! :D

Of course you should know! Telling me I shouldn't want to know would be insulting. My PB explained and then I saw the expense with the travertine coping was in that so much was wasted as they cut so many pieces to fit around the curves. So just the price of coping wasn't a straight sq ft calculation. Does that explain their price? I don't think we were charged much extra for labor.

Terminix is coming this afternoon to pull up the baits around the dig site

Waiting for confirmation from PB that we will be digging TOMORROW

I'm all kinds of excited, anxious, and almost sick to my stomach. I'll know for sure this afternoon.

We started this business back in late August, signed the contract in Nov, and, after many delays waiting on utilities and slow PB responses, it looks like we will finally be underway.

Extended weather forecast for our area looks good. Other than the 4+ week lead time once I order the glass tile, I'm told it will take 6-10 weeks from start to finish which puts us to somewhere in April.

I'll let you know when I get firm confirmation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.