Hello from an excited Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma!!

Me too.
Automation is nice when it all works, but after its been a while and something quits working, it can be an expensive problem.
Give me a good ol' fashion simple timer any day.

I can't help with automation. I made it a point to keep it simple and avoid any automation. We just have a timer controlling the SWG, the VS pump has its own onboard timer/controller. Since our spa uses a separate pump and the heater is on the spa loop a simple one channel remote will turn it on and off. If I do want to direct the heater to the pool, there are manual valves for that. We later added solar heating and have a solar controller that automatically operates the solar valve and ramps up the pump speed when heat is called for and is available.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! Now lets get this show on the road!

Got a call from the bank and we are a definite GO for closing tomorrow and the lein release has been filed. Praise God!

I thought I read that automation is the only way to adjust the SWG in finer increments, instead of the standard 20% increases and decreases (at least for Pentair products). Is that right? Is it a significant concern?

Lol Kim!
ok, he wants 25% down, said its because he buys our equipment immediately with that $$, something about avoiding price increases or some such thing

When asked about Pebble Tec, etc, he tried to steer us toward French grey colored plaster. Said the pebble tec is rough on feet and hands but his plaster finish is smooth as glass. Says he's been in business 18 yrs and he is just now doing his first replaster job from one of his original pools.

When I asked him about filters, he recommended cartridge. I was looking at DE. He says I'll have to clean my DE every week. Said he installed one recently and now the customer is calling him to complain that he hates it because it's so much work.

Asked about his pool warranty and it is guaranteed to hold water for 5 years. He says those that warranty it for life aren't really warrantying it. He said it isn't what it's thought to be...

no hold out of final payment for punch list. He said by the time they fill the pool, they have completed everything.

Things i liked: I have his direct cell number and he is reachable at all times even after hours

No port-a-potty, but the workers are never to ask to come in the house. There's a gas station 1/2 mile down the road that they would use

the last 10-15 minutes of every work day is clean up time. They will pick up trash and keep the site clean.

They will have a dedicated crew assigned to my pool so it's the same people, same crew chief.

I also just liked him. Very genuine, very personable and friendly.

I think he's going to be expensive, though. But, I'm excited to see his design. I gave him my Christmas "if we didn't have a budget" wish list.

I have pebbletec finish. The only issue we have ever noticed has been when doing aqua aerobics in the pool where you are constantly scuffing your feet. We did tile the benches in the spa, because the wife was afraid the pebble finish might be hard on bathing suits. It's not very rough though unless you have a lousy plaster crew. Plaster is smoother however doesn't last as long as the pebble finish.

It's been 10 years since our build so I don't remember all the details, but I do remember a sizable down payment, and the pool builder delivered all the equipment right away and it set on my back porch until the pool was built and ready for the install.

The only thing I could not live with is the payment at the end. You need to have it in writing that EVERYTHING is done before the last payment! Some are holding their hand out as soon as the plaster crew shows up....nope!

They are not done until the equipment is up and running and the yard is clean.

Kim

The only thing I could not live with is the payment at the end. You need to have it in writing that EVERYTHING is done before the last payment! Some are holding their hand out as soon as the plaster crew shows up....nope!

Kim

That is the weird thing. In Austin all builders I questioned required final payment when plaster is scheduled. Not one was willing to hold out anything until job complete. I think it is area specific.

That is the weird thing. In Austin all builders I questioned required final payment when plaster is scheduled. Not one was willing to hold out anything until job complete. I think it is area specific.

Same here. The good news is that the last 35% or so is not required until decking is complete. By that time we've already had plumbing and electrical, too. There's still plenty of incentive for them to inspect and sort out issues.

And our PB is angling for our maintenance business. So he has more incentive to make us happy.

Same here. The good news is that the last 35% or so is not required until decking is complete. By that time we've already had plumbing and electrical, too. There's still plenty of incentive for them to inspect and sort out issues.

And our PB is angling for our maintenance business. So he has more incentive to make us happy.

Here was my draw schedule:
At Contract Acceptance: 10%
At Excavation: 30%
At Tile/Coping: 20%
At Paver/Decking: 30%
At Finish Scheduling: 10%

Here was my draw schedule:
At Contract Acceptance: 10%
At Excavation: 30%
At Tile/Coping: 20%
At Paver/Decking: 30%
At Finish Scheduling: 10%

I don't have contract handy but there were 4 draws.

Excavation: 35%
Gunite: 30%
Decking*: 30%
Interior: 5%

* - I'm not 100% sure here but we still have the last 2 checks and the deck is in progress.

The general build plan is:
Excavation
Gunite
Stone/Coping
Plumbing
Electrical
Decking
Interior

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope your pool builder has more integrity than mine because this kind of payment structure has brought me so much headache and stress. I have paid 90% so far; Pool has been plastered and filled, decking done, I have a pump and filter, so my pool is running (no final inspection yet). Outstanding work: heater (I have a spa), salt water cell, auto leveler, lights, nozzles for the spa jets, maintenance kit, fire ring and fill for fire pit (fire pit already built), rock concrete slide, re-pouring concrete that was cut off to do the gas plumbing, retaining wall on one side of my yard, automation hasn't been done, I have to manually turn valves and control my pump with the Jandy controller (JEP-R). The Aqualink box with salt generator (pure link) is hanging on my wall with no face/control on the inside; not useful to me right now. 2 months pool service stated in contract is not being honored. The remaining 10% payment will not pay for the outstanding work to be done and to make matters worse I have 2 liens on my property from the Gunite and Plaster company. My pool builder is totally broke! (must have used my money to build another pool). I'm scared that if I pursue legal action, I would spend money on attorney fees and not be able to collect on the judgment. If I had not found this forum I would have been totally lost. Please learn from my mistake and ensure that all subcontractors are paid before releasing next payment.

I hope your pool builder has more integrity than mine because this kind of payment structure has brought me so much headache and stress. I have paid 90% so far; Pool has been plastered and filled, decking done, I have a pump and filter, so my pool is running (no final inspection yet). Outstanding work: heater (I have a spa), salt water cell, auto leveler, lights, nozzles for the spa jets, maintenance kit, fire ring and fill for fire pit (fire pit already built), rock concrete slide, re-pouring concrete that was cut off to do the gas plumbing, retaining wall on one side of my yard, automation hasn't been done, I have to manually turn valves and control my pump with the Jandy controller (JEP-R). The Aqualink box with salt generator (pure link) is hanging on my wall with no face/control on the inside; not useful to me right now. 2 months pool service stated in contract is not being honored. The remaining 10% payment will not pay for the outstanding work to be done and to make matters worse I have 2 liens on my property from the Gunite and Plaster company. My pool builder is totally broke! (must have used my money to build another pool). I'm scared that if I pursue legal action, I would spend money on attorney fees and not be able to collect on the judgment. If I had not found this forum I would have been totally lost. Please learn from my mistake and ensure that all subcontractors are paid before releasing next payment.

Blessed, that is horrible!! I sure hope this all works out quickly!!
I am certainly putting all this good advice to use!!

thanks for weighing in on the pmt schedule Bdrums and Umm. It's helpful to know what others have had to do.
The other (1st) PB only requires 5% at contract signing and the rest is staged out. At the time I didn't know to ask about the hold out for the punch list but we need to go back to him to rework the design and rebid since we have made some changes and additions.

We closed on the refi this morning and purchased the car by noon. I'm waiting for them to call and say it's ready for pick up.

We SHOULD be seeking financing for the pool by the end of the month....but hubs has come up with a few more "these things have to happen first..."

Yeah it seems the PBs all ask for the last, tiny payment at plaster. I think the economic downturn hit them very hard. Our PB also asked for a large down payment, to include appliances, and they all came with him to our house on the day of our dig. So long as this is the case, I don't see a problem. Now, if the equipment didn't arrive until the end, I'd be worried...

- - - Updated - - -

Kim

I agree, but sadly, you really aren't holding back much money. Having everything in writing is critical, we've pulled out the contract more than once.

- - - Updated - - -

OMG, I am so sorry!!!

Oh Blessed that is so sad :( I am sorry you are dealing with this.

THAT is my biggest fear!

SO how I would "get around it" is to NOT let them do or schedule the plaster until EVERY thing else is done!

Kim

This is the best work around I've ever heard - brilliant!! But again, I think that deal would need to be in writing - "Everything completed except start up and pool school before plaster."

The others are right in that it seems to be a location trend for final payments. The PB's I saw in the NW Houston area also wanted final payment before the final punch list was completed. But.... when I asked the PB I eventually went with if I could hold that back, he said certainly. I guess his attitude was to try to get the money earlier, but not a deal breaker. Also, the amount held back is usually so small that it's not much of a safeguard, but maybe it makes a statement. I had done soooo much research on my guy that I had no reservations. He's been around so long and often 'cleans up' messes left by other PB's who walk.

He stopped by yesterday to just visit and look the pool over. He found a few things he wasn't satisfied with (I wasn't bothered) and will get those fixed. I told him I'd get his final check (our pool has been filled for 12 weeks), but he wouldn't take it. He said he didn't want it until he was satisfied with everything done on his job. A real stand up guy (if you can get past the sluggish communication - which I did to get all his other great traits).

If you can't get a 'hold-back' amount, go for Kim's idea and get it in writing.

I'm so excited for you - things are beginning to roll!!!!!

Take care,
Suz.

Wow, Suz! What a great PB you have! BTW-I'm still working my way through your thread-it's a long one! But I'm reading all of it because I am learning so much from everyone's experiences.

We got the drawings from the 2nd PB a few days ago. I'm not impressed. He didn't listen to much of what I told him. It's pretty, but not what we talked about. I emailed him my changes. I'm going to make my own paper and pencil drawing tomorrow and email it to both builders.

Moving right along- I called about our pool financing today!!! He gave me some homework to do over the next week or so. Once all of that comes together, it looks like we can get better financing than I originally thought. Since that is the case, we may be able to get some "wish list" items. Contract signing is just around the corner!

image.jpg
Too bad you cannot get your ideas straight into their heads. I guess a drawing of what you want is the next best thing. UNLESS you draw like I do-----a horse looks like a dog when I TRY to draw it. LOL

Kim

I did a drawing based on the first PB's design with my tweaks and changes, and sent it to the first PB. He was enthusiastic when I finally reached him. Probably because I told him we are working on our financing right now and need firm figures. He doesn't know we are getting a second bid. I feel bad because I work with his wife. But his company has a great reputation and I've had several recommendations from others regarding them.

PB #2 comes recommended by my brother in law who has done work for him. Otherwise, I have not heard of them. When I first spoke with him on the phone and when he came to the house, he asked what I thought they could do with our small restricted space. I told him it was up to him to tell me what he could do. We talked, he measured, took pictures said he'd have the architect draw up a plan and then have us in to talk $$.
We got the drawing from the architect on the 16th. I immediately responded with questions regarding dimensions because NOTHING was listed. All we had were pictures. No response from them. Just crickets chirping... Today I resent the email and titled it "2nd email" and got a fairly quick response from the owner with dimensions. Nothing about coming in for a meeting, nothing about cost. So, I emailed again, asking about his bid telling him we are close to making a choice between builders (he knows we have another bid) and he said he'd get back to me in a few days with figures.
I just don't get it. It's like he doesn't WANT my business.
The pool dimensions he gave me are not achievable in my yard, yet he said the dimensions are inside the pool wall at the water line. With my easement, it puts it 3 feet off the house. Code states it has to be 5 feet. I WANT the wider pool but I don't want to get into a mess with the inspector or pay for something we can't get. And I'm not crazy about his design. I wanted the tanning shelf inset in the patio and the spa on the left side of the house as you view toward the house. He did a Roman shape, I asked for rectangle. I'm trying to compare apples to apples with the other builder. He also gave me a wall with 3 sheer descents and I asked for 2 fire/water bowls. His stated dimensions are: pool 16'x34', spa 5'x10'
I really don't want to pursue him further but my husband wants to get his bid. He was nice but it feels like pulling teeth to get through this initial process. Makes me nervous about the build...image.jpg Not sure why my pictures got separated, but here are the drawings from PB #2
as soon as I get an updated on from PB #1 I'll post it.
I'm so ready to move forward! Hoping next week is the week for a contract, otherwise it will be the 2nd week of Nov.

nini--------you are SO right about NOT wanting to mess will PB#2.........he has already shown you that he does not listen AND he is not even trying to down what you asked for. The mess with the easement and so close to the house????????? NOPE! Run, don't walk. Sorry hubby!

Kim (I have "watched" as you have worked your way through several build threads. Such fun! I bet you are learning a LOT as you read.)

nini--------you are SO right about NOT wanting to mess will PB#2.........he has already shown you that he does not listen AND he is not even trying to down what you asked for. The mess with the easement and so close to the house????????? NOPE! Run, don't walk. Sorry hubby!

Kim (I have "watched" as you have worked your way through several build threads. Such fun! I bet you are learning a LOT as you read.)

yes, Kim! I am working my way through as many builds as I can- learning lots but probably forgetting more than I am retaining. I really need to start reading the equipment and chemistry threads...but the builds are more fun!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.