Hello from a new member in Pittsburgh PA

Hello All!
I'm happy to be a part of this great pool community! We've owned our pool for 3 years and enjoy every bit of it - except our yearly algae bloom! We are fighting one now and its taking a long time to clear up. After reading some of the posts I've decided to treat using bleach rather than breaking the bank on algeacides and other fancy products. I've just ordered an FAS-DPD kit that should arrive on Tuesday so that I can determine my free chlorine level. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer!
Leslie and family

L,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners tired of fighting algae... :drown:

You don't own a chain of pool stores do you??? :p

Glad you could join us.... and good job on getting the necessary test kit... :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Leslie:

Once you receive your kit, please post a full set of test results. Given that you have an above ground pool, circulation or lack of is something you need to familiarize yourself with. Probability is that your return jet is close to your skimmer. A lot of people have problems also from back washing to frequently. Please read through pool school and familiarize yourself with everything.

For now, brush the pool and break up the algae. The water will become real cloudy. Add one gallon of 8.25% daily to stall everything until the kit arrives. Once you have your kit and test CYA, we can determine what SLAM Level you will need to be at to clear the pool up. Algaecides do not work once algae blooms have occurred.