Hello Everyone.

barryjmizell

Jun 9, 2019
Poplarville, MS
My name is B.J. I am a two year new home and pool owner. My wife and I care for three elderly/disabled family members. I work full time as a mechanic at a tractor dealership. I am here to learn all I can.
Our home is nearly 100 years old, and we are estimating the pool to have been built in the mid 80s. I have a Hayward pump and sand filter. I had the sand replaced last year with Ruby sand. I use chlorine floaters. My pool is around 28,000 gallons.
I started my in ground swimming pool journey last year. I had a new vinyl liner installed and had the installer maintain my pool until I had the knowledge and time to take over myself. I did a marvelous job until about three weeks ago, when my liquid test kit expired. My stabilizer shot through the roof and I developed an algae bloom. I bought a fresh test kit, did a partial drain to get my stabilizer back in range and am currently in the middle off a SLAM. Leslies pool chemicals said 10ppm would be shock level, but what I have found here on TFP says 20ppm. I added more shock and will retest tonight. Planning tonight to do a chlorine loss test. I am hoping to see some changes in the morning. We have a wedding here Saturday and I am trying to clear the pool by then. The guy at leslies says if its not clear by Wednesday to try flocking the pool. Said that would pretty much be my last option.

Welcome to the forum!
I suggest you take the discussion about your algae issues and start a new post in the Algae Prevention and Treatment forum. Best to discuss that issue there.
Can you fill our your signature? Be sure to include the test kit name/model you are using in your signature.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Hello B.J. and welcome! :wave: We'll watch for any other posts or threads you provide to help coach you through your SLAM Process process. Definitely make sure to get more reagents though. I recommend the TF-100 test kit, but the Taylor K-2006C will also work. See Test Kits Compared.