Hello..., another new member!

watkincm

Bronze Supporter
Sep 11, 2020
Pittsboro, NC
I'm Mike, just joining the TFP "pool".
I've had a tiny, AG pool (just 8,000 gals) since 2014 but, despite its size, have spent an inordinate amount of time, energy, and yes... money, trying to keep it in good chemical balance. I continue to fail, miserably!
The material I read on this site - Pool School, etc.. - flies in the face of almost everything I have learned elsewhere - from supposed experts.
TFP recommendations for Chlorine levels, TA, even pH, contradict not only my pool dealer's recommendations but also those of equipment manufacturers. Hayward (pool heaters), for example, recommend for my pool and to not void warranty: FCL - 1.0 - 3.0 ppm; pH - 7.2 - 7.6; TA - 100-150 ppm; CH - 175-300 ppm; CYA - 30-100 ppm. TFP recommendations would appear to be: FCL - 5.0-7.0 ppm; pH - 7.6-7.8; TA 60-90 ppm; CYA - 40-50.
My pool heater is now out of warranty anyway so that's kind of moot but these are metrics (commandments in stone?) I have worked to comply with for the entirety of my pool custodianship - always failing. Fingers crossed, this forum is going to help me figure out why?
I'm looking forward to it.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: There's some serious scientific logic behind the TFP recommended levels you are comparing us to. Pool types, methods of chlorination, location, and several other details combine to determine why some pools should be managed slightly different than others. The "pool industry" doesn't do that. For them it's all about sales volume and generic recommendations across the board for all pool owners. After you spend a little time watching our discussions, it will be more clear. Without a doubt, accurate owner testing is always priority #1. From there, we'll be happy to help with any of your pool questions. Have a nice weekend.

Reactions: magiteck