Hello Again! First time start up after Baqua goo to SWG conversion.

RidingMann

Aug 11, 2019
Cumming, GA
As the title says, this will be our first start up after converting to SWG last summer. If you want to see some large amounts of goo - here is that thread- Another Baquacil to Salt Conversion with several questions.

Anyway, I'm traveling from GA to VA to help my mom start the pool up. Where do I begin?

When we shut it down, as seen in the photos in my old thread, the water was beautiful and was holding FC well.

Anyone want to offer start up advice?

Thanks!

Will you be bringing your TF-100 test kit along or does Mom have one of her own?

Test the water and give us the test results along with a description of the water (color, clarity, debris, etc).

As much as you can net or scoop out any debris in the pool right off. You want your liquid chlorine to work on water and algae (if present?) not solids like leaves and such.

After testing, post the results and while waiting for response go shop for liquid chlorine.

We'll help, don't worry! Take pics please. They're our reward, y'know?

Maddie :flower:

Will you be bringing your TF-100 test kit along or does Mom have one of her own?

Test the water and give us the test results along with a description of the water (color, clarity, debris, etc).

As much as you can net or scoop out any debris in the pool right off. You want your liquid chlorine to work on water and algae (if present?) not solids like leaves and such.

After testing, post the results and while waiting for response go shop for liquid chlorine.

We'll help, don't worry! Take pics please. They're our reward, y'know?

Thanks! You were a tremendous help last year!
She has the TF-100. I just need to get the cover off, fix a small leak at the pump, and get the water moving.
We're a little concerned about finding bleach, given our current COVID-19 situation, it's REALLY hard to come by. I think she has stock piled about 40 gallons, I hope we do not need that much, but last year I think we ended up using over 100 gallons!
I will absolutely post pics and look forward to all of your expertise!

<doing a happy dance> Yay!!

Don't forget to look at the pool section of Wallyworld for liquid chlorine. Folks looking for "bleach" never think to look there......

I recall 100 gallons.... like I said last year- your mom's got a Big pool. Bigger pool = bigger cost. But, hopefully more fun too!

Reactions: RidingMann
Okie dokie.
In anticipation of a mess, I had mom proactively pour "a little bit" of bleach into the pool... turns out a little bit to her is 21 gallons :eek:
She apparently did this over the course of the last 2 days.
CYA is 60 (holding from last year)
FC is 12
Water is blue - a tad cloudy, but not green.
Salt level is at 2600 (holding from last year)

My gut says "dang, this is WAY better than Baquacil, lets turn the SWG on and let it roll"..... but I have a feeling I may be jumping the gun. What say the experts?

This is after having the pump running for about 15 min - it will run 24 hours until we shut it down in the fall.
2020poolopen.jpeg

Well, assuming the algae has been killed dead by that Hiroshima level dose of chlorine, it now takes time for the filter to do its job. Depending on Mom's filter some work faster than others but the fastest ones require more interventions on your part to clean them out, backwash, etc.

Testing is going to tell you if Mom killed it all.....or just stunned it stupid and it'll reproduce still as soon as it comes out of coma.

Let us know what you find when you get up there, 'k?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.