Heating pool with house gas water heater

Dtkokay

Dec 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
Please feel free to tell me if this is a bad idea. I have a 25K gallon pool along with a 166K BTU heat pump. The heat pump is pretty slow to heat up the water, by design, and there are times when I’d like to speed up the process.

My house has two 40 gallon gas water heaters, around 35K BTU each (70K BTU total). I have a hot water tap at the back of my garage, not far from the pool. I was thinking about running a hose from that to my pool to help heat the pool, along with the heat pump. I have a portable water meter, so I could monitor how much hot water I’m adding.

I wouldn’t add hot water continuously, but I thought that adding maybe 80 -120 gallons would help the heat pump and speed up the heating process. I wouldn’t do this every time I use the heat pump, for fear of causing premature failure of my house water heaters.

Critique away

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.