Heating pool for first time question

thomasandanita

Mar 14, 2019
willis texas
Having family over for thanksgiving. Kids want to swim and asked me to please heat the pool. I haven’t heated the pool before, only the hot tub. Approximately 10,000 gallons, 250 natural gas heater, vs pump. My question is what is a typical swimmable temperature?
North of Houston about 40 miles. Any thoughts on pump speed? How long do you think it will take?
Pool water temperature is around 60 now.
As always, I appreciate the feedback from y’all

Your heater will raise your water temperature 2-3 degrees an hour depending on the air temperature.

I like pool water to be 86F. Some people find swimming in 70 degree water refreshing and others will not get in until it is 90F.

I would use 2000 rpm or higher pump speed. If your heater is not getting enough flow it may shutdown and throw error codes. You need to watch it and see what works for your setup.

Your forecast for Thursday is 62-69 degrees and overcast/ showers. Nice because there won’t be much of a difference during the day. This time of year we can swing 30 degrees a day in NY. I’d recommend 88 degrees seeing how it’s just for a day. Water Around 80 is awesome in the summer but freezing this time of year.

Your heater will raise your water temperature 2-3 degrees an hour depending on the air temperature.

I like pool water to be 86F. Some people find swimming in 70 degree water refreshing and others will not get in until it is 90F.

I would use 2000 rpm or higher pump speed. If your heater is not getting enough flow it may shutdown and throw error codes. You need to watch it and see what works for your setup.

thanks everyone for the advice.

ajw you nailed it on the time to temp rise.
i turned the heater on Wednesday morning before work and set the pump speed, only to learn that the heater wants about 3200 rpm to keep the flow switch happy. water temp was 64. returned home 12 hours later and had the water temp was 88. perfect! kids loved swimming on thanksgiving.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.