Heater suggestions please

Jul 31, 2009
Hi, we live in NH and have an 18,000 AG pool. We have used solar panels for the past few years, but they are just not getting enough sun. So I have finally convinced my hubby to purchase a heater. I am thinking something with a quick heat up for the weekends, but using the solar and cover to maintain the heat during the week. From what I remember reading a heat pump is slow and wouldn't work well with the colder Nh temps. So I need a gas or electric heater? Any brand or model suggestions? How many BTU's? Anything else I need to consider?

Raypak consistently seems to get the most recommendations on the forum, both from users and service people (since they are simpler designs and have fewer problems).

Gas is usually cheaper to run than electric. Buy the largest you can afford and your gas pipe can supply. It will use the same amount of gas to heat the pool, just do it faster.

Raypak 400K BTU gas heater would be what you are looking for. Hopefully you have natural gas where you are at as propane can be expensive.

I second this. Especially with you being in NH you will need the extra BTU. I was in Maine in July this year and I was freezing my butt off at night, so I imagine your need for heat will be high.

I would go with Raypak because they know their product so well and they are very knowledgeable when I have reached out to them for help.

I have had a Pentair MasterTemp 400HD for the past three seasons for my 19,000 gallon vinyl in-ground pool. I get about a 2F temp increase per hour in Central PA. I keep solar cover on to minimize heat lose. Burning natural gas is very convenient and less expensive than propane, but i think you can start with propane orifice and change out later for natural gas. As stated, use a licensed contractor for all that technical stuff when dealing with gasses.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.