Heater replacement cost

BruceJ

Jul 5, 2015
Houston/Texas
I have a StaRite Max E 400 that I’m told I need to replace. I’ve been quoted $6,400 plus installation. When I looked it up online, I saw that the heater is generally available for about $2,500. My pool guy says he can’t match online pricing, but dropped his price to $4,900. That still seems like an unreasonable markup for just installing an existing heater. Which one of us is out of line here?
r

Welcome to TFP.

$4,900 is more in line for an authorized pool installer heater than $6,400. Pool stores prices are typically 2X the online price. If you can get him down to $4,500 you have a good deal.

Call a furnace repairman. Most of them that do propane/NG also work on pool heaters. Swapping out an existing heater is cake for someone in a work truck stocked with every last fitting they would need to retrofit it. Even if they wanted $1000 for parts and 1.5 hours labor it would be $1400 cheaper than the pool people’s best offer.

Buy it yourself and hire the sub directly. Some warranties are less/void if not installed by a manufacturer approved installer but you’d have almost enough left over to replace the whole thing if need be. If it was only a couple hundred dollar repair you would still be up a lot. Also check your credit cards to see which one offers the best warranty. Some are 2 years and would actually be better than the manufacturers warranty anyway.

If they replaced it with the Raypak equivalent, you pay for the heater, then the installer for 400 you'd be looking at $ 2,900
which seems much more reasonable.

I paid around $ 2,300 including install from a local pool place that happens to not gouge people (RARE!)
but that was for a lower priced 266k btu version.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.