Heater replacement - advice needed

Freezing cold night is passed so heater goes back on. With the solar blanket I’m now at 80 degree water with 40 degree air temps. >.>

So I wasn’t able to get the burners off, but I did get a wire brush in and hit them best I could. Tops seem to burn much cleaner now.

I turned the pool off yesterday at 78° and now it’s up near 80°. Solar cover must have done something to warm it. Today’s high air temps were around 49°.

Trimmed the cover a bit more. Not perfect but I’ll let it sit like this a while. Tomorrow I’ll try to take the thing off the pool, see how difficult that is.

A708BBF2-5DFD-489F-BBE9-B42B50FACD9F.jpeg
03DE6B99-B6FD-47D6-9F7F-566AA32AE2D1.jpeg

Reactions: markayash
It shouldn't matter too much now, but it will once it gets warm. The water on top whether it comes from rain or nearby sprinklers, will get stagnant as fast as it does anywhere else. It stains, it smells, it is just YUCK after only a few days. I always used my brush to get as much of it as possible off the cover whenever i saw it.

Better photographic evidence that the heater works

View attachment 138349
View attachment 138350
A guy on the radio was talking about older folks ( like my parents ) keeping their house so warm..He said your definition of cold is the same as your age..So 12 year olds think 12 degree's is cold and 90 year olds think 90 degree's is cold :)
Whats your water temp?

So - heater is sporadically working again. Time to get it replaced.

I checked out the switch leading to the heater and it has power running to it, just no power down to the heater through the conduit. So I can get a short length of electrical wire and run it through there on my own. Just need to get a HVAC person on board to hook up the gas.

If we have the pool light and about (8) LED light fixtures outside on the same circuit as the heater, would that be an issue? I can't imagine the heater pulls much electricity if it's just to control it and light the burners when needed.

There is no predicting how an electrician wired the lights and heater to the same CB. You have to take a look at how all the wires are interconnected.

There is no predicting how an electrician wired the lights and heater to the same CB. You have to take a look at how all the wires are interconnected.
Most of the wiring for the exterior lights are buried (or at least underneath some mulch in gardens). :/

The buried wires must come up into some junction boxes for connections.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The buried wires must come up into some junction boxes for connections.
I know the outdoor lighting all comes up into an exterior box with a programmable timer on it. They had one standard plug going into the timer which had a standard plug into an outlet inside the box.

Just spoke to someone referred to us by our realtor - said he should be able to hook up the gas for a couple hundred dollars or so. He recommended a heater with a cupronickel exchanger and polymer headers. Looking around for a Reems with these things. :)

Did my research on the forums here, looks like no reason for the cupronickel (and it is less energy efficient anyway) - my guess is the pool guy recommended it for people who shock their pool instead of maintaining it at proper chem levels. :) So I won't worry about that.

How about this one?

Last edited:
I mostly was just making sure I didn't miss something obvious on that particular model - it's the least expensive 206 model I can find and want to make sure that it doesn't have something I'm missing that makes it unsuitable for me.

My plumbing is 1-1/2" and not 2", but all the heaters seem to be 2" and I'm sure I can use adapters. (Current heater is 2" unions and has 1-1/2" pipe going into it.)

Silly question - what electrical wire do I buy at Home Depot for the 6’ or so run through existing conduit from the exterior switch into the heater?

What exterior switch? What amp CB is it? What size conduit and how many wires in it now?

What exterior switch? What amp CB is it? What size conduit and how many wires in it now?
20amp CB

3CAC0398-1D9F-45A5-9549-F7733572ADA5.jpeg

These are the pool light and outdoor lights on the same circuit. They come up here

6CAE28B9-C8D2-4BFD-9B8D-F5D53C58BC7A.jpeg

And into this toggle here for the pool light

36A741E3-4418-4995-BFEE-68B80D0DB5F9.jpeg

Here’s the outdoor light switch to the left of those

E67EBF81-F272-45FD-95BA-EBA7979874E2.jpeg

Around the corner are the switches for the pump and the one for the heater. Switch has a live wire running to it but nothing coming out.

68E7C9AA-30B6-4500-B25E-0146693B65BC.jpeg

There’s an empty conduit running to the millivolt heater.

A6FEEB4D-6BF4-4BBA-9B1B-B269FFE30C85.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.