Heater problem

michael60

Jul 18, 2019
New York
We have an in-ground pool with a Max E Therm 400 heater. Last year the heater wasn't working.It turned out we needed a new control board which was replaced at a cost of $975. This year we needed a new pump and had the same company back to do the work but when three weeks went by and after multiple phone calls we had a green pool but no pump I fired them and called another company which installed the pump 2 days later. 2 weeks ago I tried to turn on the heater and noticed the screen was blank. I popped off the top and discovered someone had stolen the control board that was installed last year. Now we have no heater. The two companies that worked in the yard claim to know nothing about this. Since it seems to be very plug and play and I am reluctant to let either company back in the yard or pay another $975 I bought a replacement control board online and installed it myself. The problem is that its not working. I contacted pentair and they can't figure out what's wrong. When I turn on the power I get a series of codes 888 then 128 then r14. I don't know where to go from here.Do those codes mean anything to anyone? Thanks

michael60
I'm really sorry to hear about those bad luck incidents regarding your heater. I'm feeling for you there.
I certainly can't be of any assistance to you but there is someone who has provided detailed assistance to others in the past with reference to your heater make/model.
Calling @JamesW
He very well might be of assistance to you regarding those codes.
Good luck with your heater.
r.

Welcome to TFP.

Those are the normal codes at startup. r14 is the revision code of the board. What happens after all of that?

@ps0303 @Pool Clown thoughts?

You have any automation controlling the heater?

Yeah, I was going to suggest you check the wiring. They could have ripped wires or a connector in their haste.

It does sound like you have a keypad problem.

A little late to chime in but when we purchased our house several years ago we also purchased a home warranty which included the (aging) pool equipment. It's more than paid for itself since we've purchased it. We pay no more than $100 for a repair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. I examined the wires and aside from some dirt they appear intact. I would have to take off the housing to follow them all to their origin so maybe ill do that. There is a jumper and I’ve trued it on both positions but it didnt seem to change anything

Its funny you mention that. The pad always had an LED display and this year I noticed its an LCD. I wasn’t sure if that was changed out when they replaced the control board last year but I didn’t remember that being done. Now im wondering if they stole the membrane pad too and then replaced it with a defective one that they had on hand so we wouldn’t notice the theft right away.

The display comes from the control board, not the membrane pad.

Check to make sure that the ribbon cable from the membrane pad to the control board is connected properly.

Check the fireman's switch to make sure that it's not open.

I think I found the problem. The ribbon that connects the membrane pad to the control board is torn on the end near the pad and three of the wires in the ribbon are broken. They must have done this in their rush to remove the board when they stole it. I am ordering a new pad. Hopefully that will solve the issue.. Thanks for all the input

I think I found the problem. The ribbon that connects the membrane pad to the control board is torn on the end near the pad and three of the wires in the ribbon are broken. They must have done this in their rush to remove the board when they stole it. I am ordering a new pad. Hopefully that will solve the issue.. Thanks for all the input
michael60
Excellent. I'm hoping that does the trick for you when you get the new ribbon connector installed.
Please let us know if that solves your issue. It would be nice to put a final "happy face" on what has been an otherwise nightmare for you I'm sure.
Good luck with that sir.
r.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.