Heater not igniting

Arsha

Jun 10, 2021
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi,
I have a Jandy LXi250N heater. When I turn on the heater, the fan starts, after a couple of seconds I can smell gas, this my go on for 2-3 minutes and then the heater stops working and the display says ignition failure. The local company who provides service checked the heater. I have been told there is water leakage in the system that prevents ignition. There is no evidence of water on the bottom of the heater! Also, they suggest that I should replace with a new heater ( Recommended Hayward heater) as the repair is expensive.
1. Any thoughts if this problem can be fixed?
2. If I have to replace should I go with Hayward or stay with Jandy or Raypak? I want to know if other heater brands work with my Jandy AquaLink remote system.
Thanks,
Arsha

Welcome to the forum.
See if Jandy LXI Heaters - Further Reading provides any insight.

Raypak is well regarded as it is a natural flow heater. So no fan and thus no moving parts. Any brand heater will work with your automation as they all use the Firemans Switch for control.

Thanks everyone!
I changed the igniter. What happens now is that when I turn on the heater, the fan starts, after a short time I hear a click ( likely from gas valve) and then 1-2 second warm blow from heater ( I guess the fire starts) but then the fire stops and its just the fan that is running. This cycle happens 3 times and then the heater stops ( Ignition failure is displayed)?

So it is making progress? It does this every time? Make sure your gas is turned on all the way and try again a few times. I seem to remember after replacing my ignitor I had to go through the sequence a couple times before it stayed lit. If not, the next thing I would check is the flame sensor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.