Heater not igniting

Arsha

Jun 10, 2021
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi,
I have a Jandy LXi250N heater. When I turn on the heater, the fan starts, after a couple of seconds I can smell gas, this my go on for 2-3 minutes and then the heater stops working and the display says ignition failure. The local company who provides service checked the heater. I have been told there is water leakage in the system that prevents ignition. There is no evidence of water on the bottom of the heater! Also, they suggest that I should replace with a new heater ( Recommended Hayward heater) as the repair is expensive.
1. Any thoughts if this problem can be fixed?
2. If I have to replace should I go with Hayward or stay with Jandy or Raypak? I want to know if other heater brands work with my Jandy AquaLink remote system.
Thanks,
Arsha

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Welcome to the forum.
See if Jandy LXI Heaters - Further Reading provides any insight.

Raypak is well regarded as it is a natural flow heater. So no fan and thus no moving parts. Any brand heater will work with your automation as they all use the Firemans Switch for control.

Arsha

Jun 10, 2021
Hamilton, Ontario
Thanks everyone!
I changed the igniter. What happens now is that when I turn on the heater, the fan starts, after a short time I hear a click ( likely from gas valve) and then 1-2 second warm blow from heater ( I guess the fire starts) but then the fire stops and its just the fan that is running. This cycle happens 3 times and then the heater stops ( Ignition failure is displayed)?

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
So it is making progress? It does this every time? Make sure your gas is turned on all the way and try again a few times. I seem to remember after replacing my ignitor I had to go through the sequence a couple times before it stayed lit. If not, the next thing I would check is the flame sensor.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread