Heater location relative to deck and/or pool?

Macboy

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, it appears there is a bit more to learn yet here. The gas fitter is concerned with the proposed location of the heater and advised me to really have a good look through the manual before we commit to the final hookup. I’ll post a photo of the current proposed location shortly here but wanted to ask a question about “plan B”.

We we have a deck, elevated about six feet with a skirt to the ground. I’ve currently got the pumps down there on the ground and was hoping to just install the heater there as well. You’ll see this in the photo.

The fitter is concerned about the heater exhausting just 3 or 4 feet below the surface of the deck which puts it about 5 or six feet to the nearest nose that may be sitting on the furnishings on the deck. Carbon Dioxide the obvious concern here.

An alternative spot I thought we could place it is alongside the wall of the pool, six feet from that skirted area of the deck. This would make the exhaust to deck surface distance easily ten feet. The question though is whether it’s okay to have our heater in the “splash zone”. I’d build up a splash guard for it of course. Kinda like a dog house with only one wall and a roof.

Second to the splash question - if CO is the fear here, putting it in this alternative location actually puts it closer to the nearest nose in the pool.

I’ll go see if I can get the photo posted so I can link to it.

The photo is here (not sure if this will work or not).....the heater is in the preferred location - just concerned it's too close to the sitting space on the upper deck. It's well away from all other dwelling opening requirements. The "Plan B" location would be in front of the right had discharge you see there. I can out down paver/patio stones so it's on solid footing. Kinda right where the pool noodle is pointing but set away from the pool wall by the required 6" and then "roofed" over to prevent too much splash action.

http://www.animatters.com/uploads/Pool/IMG_3338.JPG

You can’t put a roof on the heater. It’s also made to be in the rain. Read the manual it will tell you the clearance it needs. I have a 250000 GH and yes the exhaust will bother you. You won’t be able to sit by it. The wind can blow it in your face.

I think it would work ok. Maybe pull it out a foot or so. I don't think the heat will affect the area 10' above it. Yes, you may get some warm drafts but you can just move the chair if it bothers you.
You're going to be running the heater when it's cooler outside correct, so the cooler air will help dissipate the heat.

It's not the heat coming from the exhaust that the fitter is concerned with - it's the carbon monoxide.

But I've been thinking more on this....we're the sort that doesn't swim with the pump running and if the pump isn't running then the heater won't be running. Exposure to swimmers in the pool therefore is nil. That would be if we put the heater out by the pool wall.

However, if we leave it where it is in the photo and code says "10 feet from", that could be the difference between sitting on that love seat (closer than 10 feet) and sitting on the chair just out of the frame to the left of it (farther than 10 feet). I think we'll leave it up alongside the deck skirt. It keeps the direct splashing out of the equation.

And there is no reason we can't put our CO alarm out on the deck for the first little while to see if it generates unsafe levels.

I'm looking through the manual to see if they mention manifolds and collectors and flue sizes and stumbled across this line on page 16:

DO NOT, under any circumstances, install the heater under ANY deck?​

And it was in bold in the original. I think that pretty much rules out under deck. But you could attach a smokestack to get the exhaust up and away from everyone.

I definitely wouldn't go "plan B". Plan A should be OK if you pull the heater out from the wall ("combustible material") by the requisite amount. A new heater in good condition should put out negligible CO, although there may be a faint odor from burning natural gas containing mercaptans.

I'm looking through the manual to see if they mention manifolds and collectors and flue sizes and stumbled across this line on page 16:
DO NOT, under any circumstances, install the heater under ANY deck​

And it was in bold in the original. I think that pretty much rules out under deck. But you could attach a smokestack to get the exhaust up and away from everyone.

Yup - saw that line as well. The plan was originally to slip it under the deck because it's a cavernous and VERY ventilated space but I still felt that didn't exempt it from the "under any circumstances" line in the manual so it was quickly ruled out. So now it's just outside the under deck area and causing the above questions. I am pretty confident that in those rare moments when A) the pump and heater are running; and B) people are outside sitting on that particular love seat we'll be able to discern whether we're getting exhausted to death or if it's dissipating just fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dont put the heater under the deck you will regret it. you will feel the heat and you will get CO off of it. tuck it somewhere alongside a wall or away from pool a few feet, remember you need clearance from windows and/or doors too

Note that the Pentair Mastertemp heater has a noisy blower that has a loud roar when running. I can tell when my heater is on when over 10 feet away.

I have a 400K Mastertemp and the exhaust throws off quite a bit of heat. I don't know if your smaller unit will be different. I dont think that CO will be a problem in an outside area. But the noise and heat will be.

I would find the pump noise and heater noise very annoying if sitting on your deck and expecting a tranquil quiet experience.

These heaters are very loud like a jet engine when they run. If you won't run it while swimming should be no issue. As long as you follow the safety guidelines in the manual you are golden. CO should not be an issue outside and uncovered.

Here is your pic:

IMG_3338.JPG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.