Heater Issue ?

iain42

Oct 16, 2016
Little Rock AR
I got my pool put back together after snowmageddon. Finally got water balanced. The temp of the water is up to 65 so I thought I would test my Pentair Ultratemp Heater. The fan comes on and it starts up fine but I don't hear the heater kick on. I had turned everything off unplugged and drained everything when it got real cold so I think it is fine... Where should I start? What should I look at?

Thanks

Here are screenshots of Panel on heater and Pentair Panel. If you notice anything wrong or weird let me know. Looks like I might need a local tech. Anyone know anyone in Little Rock that isn't busy fixing the frozen pools from winter. lol...

ps4.jpg
pu1.jpg

I would take the UltraTemp out of Remote mode and off of control by the EasyTouch. And I would put the UT on HEAT rather then AUTO. Then see if it will heat using the UT control panel. If it still does not heat then you need a service call. If it heats then there is a problem with the EasyTouch control of it.

See page 18 in https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...ump-installation-and-users-guide-en-fr-sp.pdf

See what the UT shows on its control panel when you set it to heat.

Reactions: iain42
If you have the heat pump set as solar, it will only work when the air or solar temperature is high enough.

Is it set as Solar?

If yes, what is the solar temperature?

Is the air above the fan cold when the fan is on?

You can look at the contactor if you feel comfortable to see if it looks burned.

You can watch the contactor on call for heat to see if it pulls in.

Does the fan just run continuously?

I would take the UltraTemp out of Remote mode and off of control by the EasyTouch. And I would put the UT on HEAT rather then AUTO. Then see if it will heat using the UT control panel. If it still does not heat then you need a service call. If it heats then there is a problem with the EasyTouch control of it.

See page 18 in https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...ump-installation-and-users-guide-en-fr-sp.pdf

See what the UT shows on its control panel when you set it to heat.
Ultra temp out of remote mode.
Ultra temp set to Heat.
I left it running will check after work but I don't think it is kicking on.

If you have the heat pump set as solar, it will only work when the air or solar temperature is high enough.

Is it set as Solar?

If yes, what is the solar temperature?

Is the air above the fan cold when the fan is on?

You can look at the contactor if you feel comfortable to see if it looks burned.

You can watch the contactor on call for heat to see if it pulls in.

Does the fan just run continuously?
When I hit solar it says being used heat pump or something like that.

How do I check solar temp? Everywhere I can set temp I put to 80.

The air seems cool not heated or cooled.

I'll look for the contactor...

Yes the fan just seems to run. I left it running at lunch will check it when I get home.

The system worked perfectly when in early November. I'm wondering if I goofed when winterizing....

Thanks

Ok. We have seen that happen a few times. It might be a locked up compressor or maybe a bad capacitor.

Probably need to have it professionally serviced. File a warranty claim if it's under warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
unit-jpg.132164

That is mine in one of the pictures that happened to my UltraTemp last year. Burned up the wires on the backside of the contactor. Pentair balked for about 2 seconds until I mentioned it was a fire hazard and could have burned up my house wiring. 10 minutes later I had the manager from the warranty dept calling saying they were sending me a replacement unit.

Pentair offers a three (3) year extended warranty on the following products when they are installed by a qualified installer and registered within sixty (60) days from the date of installation:

Energy-saving IntelliFlo and IntelliPro Variable Speed Pumps.

SunTouch Solar and SolarTouch Control Systems.

Bundles of three (3) or more products from three (3) different product groups including inground pumps, filters, heaters, heat pumps, control systems, automatic cleaners, lighting, and salt chlorine generators.

Is the unit registered?

Was it bought as part of a bundle?

I bought it separately and had our PB install it. I don't think we registered it so SOL on that front. I'm an idiot and never register anything.

Do you have receipts of when you bought the HP and from your PB for installation? If so, try and register it now on the Pentair Warranty website and submit the receipts. If it accepts it then call in the warranty claim.

Reactions: iain42 and JamesW
The contactor is inexpensive to replace but is probably not the root cause of the failure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.