Heater Issue ?

If the builder is an authorized dealer, then I would consider it defacto registered since they have the original records.

File a warranty claim with the builder and with Pentair.

Iain said he did not buy it from the builder.

The builder was the installer. So, they should have all of the relevant records from the installation.

In my opinion, if the builder is an authorized dealer, service center or warranty station, then the unit should be considered to be registered.

In any case, the 10 year compressor warranty should be in effect.

The most likely problem is a bad compressor.

If it's not a bad compressor, the repair probably won't be covered under warranty.

The compressor is the biggest expense.

If the compressor is ok, the repair should not be super expensive.

Thanks guys my wife may be the best organized person I have ever met. She had the receipt in like two seconds. It is registered with Pentair and proof of purchase uploaded. Do I contact Pentair first or a local tech?

Thanks again!!!

File a claim with Pentair and the Installer.

Pentair should assign an authorized warranty service company to provide the necessary diagnosis and assessment of the options and liability.

Reactions: iain42
Keep on Pentair, when I was dealing with them 4 different companies they assigned the work order to were backed up for months. They dropped shipped the replacement HP to my house instead of the 5th's shop.

The Pool techs are on a 6-8 week wait. I am wondering how robust these contactors and compressors are? The burnt line is going to the compressor which does not bode well. Pentair recommended having a tech look at the motor run cap as well. Only the compressor is under warranty unfortunately.

Pentair Contactor 3 Phase #473778

1620142989292.png
Is there a way to physically determine if the contactor survived?
Should I have a capacitor and contactor onsite for when the tech comes?
Of course I'm more worried about the compressor and what was the cause or I would just replace the parts myself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
last fall my ultratemp failed in a very similar way, multiple components failed, including the compressor.

I specifically requested they send a commercial tech to troubleshoot the unit, the local company did an excellent job on the diagnoses and replacement.

After considerable back and forth (with support of the commercial tech) we eventually got Pentair to replace the whole unit as it was under warranty as it was less than one season since instal.

I personally believe this is a failure/issue known by Pentair.

Craig

last fall my ultratemp failed in a very similar way, multiple components failed, including the compressor.

I specifically requested they send a commercial tech to troubleshoot the unit, the local company did an excellent job on the diagnoses and replacement.

After considerable back and forth (with support of the commercial tech) we eventually got Pentair to replace the whole unit as it was under warranty as it was less than one season since instal.

I personally believe this is a failure/issue known by Pentair.

Craig

I understand I can make the case but because it is out of warranty I doubt they will take care of anything but the compressor...

What is the point of starting a new thread?

What has happened since April 10th when this was previously discussed?

Well perhaps I didn't get the answers I hoped for and was asking about specific parts. Pool parts are getting scarce and was wondering if I needed to jump on them while they are available.

I'm also curious if it is possible to tell if the contactor is good with physical inspection? Does it need voltage applied to verify?

I was frustrated that I could not get anyone out to look at my heater. I found the contactor online and replaced it. I found the wire that was burnt was only burnt about half an inch. I clipped it off and cleaned the ends. They looked fine. Then I tested the capacitor and it was good. I fired everything up cautiously looking for smoke or anything weird. To our delight the pool heater kicked on. I am posting this here just in case someone else has the same problem. I should have 82 degree water in a few hours :cool:

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.