May 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
How long should heater insulation last?

had my mastertemp 125 heater “serviced” today now it won’t work at all as the apparently the insulation has disintegrated.

Clearly I’m a bit peeved with the engineer as it worked before but I wondered how long I should expect the insulation to last and whether he innocently disturbed it so the heater doesn’t work or whether he is negligent.

I have never needed to dig that deep into my heater to see that insulation. I don't understand why deteriorated insulation would prevent the heater from working.

It looks like the 77707-0008 insulation kit costs around $120USD. It will take a few hours of work to remove the burner and replace the insulation around it.

@swamprat69 any thoughts about this?

the Heater was working before the service but had had a couple of wobbles. Once it didn’t ignite and I couldn’t here it clicking. I also think there might have been a bit of a whooomp on lighting once or twice before (I was elsewhere in the house when i turned it on remotely) and it’s not had a service for many years so I could see something maybe needing to be replaced. But last time I used it it was fine other than the flue temp being 10/20 degrees into the ‘high’ range.

I was wondering whether the insulation is a consumable part or if they might have broken it.

The whooomp on lighting off is called " delayed ignition" and is usually caused by lack of regular service/maintenance/cleaning. This allows dirt/spider webs and other obstructions to distort the gas/air mixture pattern so that it doesn't light off immediately resulting in a mini explosion. In the extreme I have seen a residential gas furnace blow the furnace door 20 feet across the basement from "delayed ignition". It is entirely possible that an explosion from "delayed ignition" could have caused the breakup/deterioration of the combustion chamber insulation. Most if not all NG furnaces/heaters come with a liability statement in the paperwork stating something like " annual inspection/service/maintenance by a qualified technician is required".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.