Heater for outdoor bathroom

Nov 8, 2016
Bridgewater, NJ
Hi All,

I am building an outdoor bathroom in NJ. Winters can be cold. Wondering about installing a portable space heater in the bathroom for winter purposes. The pipes will all be winterized but wondering if there is any need for a space heater in there.

Thanks in advance.

What I would do is put a cut off valve on the pipes that lead to the outdoor bathroom at the house. I would make sure to also have a drain valve to be on the extra safe. One of those better safe than sorry times.

Kim:kim:

Hello,

we we had a pool house built last summer and had this heater installed. Works great. It has its own thermostat.

Cadet Com-Pak Plus 9 in. x 12 in. 1500-Watt 120-Volt Fan-Forced In-Wall Electric Heater in White-CSC151TW - The Home Depot

Mike

Thanks for the quick reply. So for my bathroom, why not just use a space heater that I can plug in for the winter as opposed to this which requires a dedicated line?

Lastly, whats the fire hazard with either of them given its outdoors where I will not be checking daily?

Thanks again.

Running a space heater is going to increase your electric costs. When you look for a heater, look up the specs so you can figure out how much it will cost to run 24/7. As for fire risk, anything that is close to the heater, including walls should be non-combustible. Most heater specs will state how far they must be from combustibles to operate safely.

I would only run a heater when the risk of a prolonged hard freeze was great.

I can only speak to the heater I had installed. It is on only 20% of the time and only came on when the inside of the pool house was below freezing. I winterize the pool house so the heater may have been overkill but I thought it can hurt to keep the dampness out. My cousin has a large pool house in Conneticut that has no heater and he never had any problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.