Heater Bypass with Intellicenter

macosr

Jul 7, 2020
North Canton, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I know I have seen a post regarding this but I can not find it so my apologies if the solution exists somewhere but I can not find it.

I am also having problems with an automatic bypass valve kit on my MasterTemp 400 heater. It will not "bypass" the heater after the cooldown when the valve is plugged into the heater circuit board. So, I moved the bypass valve to the Intellicenter board and tied it into the heater circuit. However, it closes immediately when the intellicenter is no longer calling for heat. Is this how others have setup their heater bypass valve? Thanks!

I know I have seen a post regarding this but I can not find it so my apologies if the solution exists somewhere but I can not find it.

I am also having problems with an automatic bypass valve kit on my MasterTemp 400 heater. It will not "bypass" the heater after the cooldown when the valve is plugged into the heater circuit board. So, I moved the bypass valve to the Intellicenter board and tied it into the heater circuit. However, it closes immediately when the intellicenter is no longer calling for heat. Is this how others have setup their heater bypass valve? Thanks!
Mine does the same and I've danced with pentair tech about it with no resolution. To mitigate this, i have the bypass set to not fully close when bypassed.

It is worth noting that in the Pentair heater bypass instructions, it states to set the flow so that it is either full through the heater, when a call for heat exists, or it splits the flow half to the heater, half through the bypass when not calling for heat. My belief is that the main reason for this is to prevent freeze issues in a dead line. This is how I configured mine, after a discussion I had here. This also prevents a stagnant line trapping any water in the heater and makes sure that the water chemistry in the heater is always the same as the rest of the pool.

It should also be noted that I noticed no difference in the flow switch engagement on my IC40 with full flow through the bypass or split flow through the bypass/heater. I am able to turn my pump down to 1200RPM in either case.

--Jeff

Attachments

• pentair_heater_auto_bypass_valve_replacement _kit.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
It is worth noting that in the Pentair heater bypass instructions, it states to set the flow so that it is either full through the heater, when a call for heat exists, or it splits the flow half to the heater, half through the bypass when not calling for heat. My belief is that the main reason for this is to prevent freeze issues in a dead line. This is how I configured mine, after a discussion I had here. This also prevents a stagnant line trapping any water in the heater and makes sure that the water chemistry in the heater is always the same as the rest of the pool.

It should also be noted that I noticed no difference in the flow switch engagement on my IC40 with full flow through the bypass or split flow through the bypass/heater. I am able to turn my pump down to 1200RPM in either case.

--Jeff
I had my bypass actuator set to either no flow or full flow. To mitigate freezing I had the valve on my Intellicenter set to the Spa so it would cycle with the freeze protect. Im going to reset it this way for next winter. Certainly less chance of something going wrong!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.