Heater Bypass - how to install in this scenario

Everyone seems to go with Jandy so was curious.

Jandy valves has become the generic term for diverter valves. Like Xerox is the common term for copying.

Jandy, Pentair, Hayward, and others all make equivalent diverter valves that are functionally identical.
Not sure if this is a snag, but looking at the cell I am not sure how easy it will be to disconnect this thing as it looks like the end near the check valve doesn’t have much pipe.

Reactions: pbc
Jandy valves has become the generic term for diverter valves. Like Xerox is the common term for copying.

Jandy, Pentair, Hayward, and others all make equivalent diverter valves that are functionally identical.

Thanks, getting closer (in my mind anyhow). You've been incredibly helpful!

A few more questions:

1. Looking at the plumbing and access, it will be near impossible to get to the diverter valve in the location I'm thinking. I assume it doesn't matter if the valve is a bit earlier in the chain? I'm thinking of instead putting it here, which would mean adding one additional 90 degree elbow and a bit more pipe, but much easier to get to and potentially easier to work within.

1661254732439.png

2. Trying to determine if I will need a new 90' check valve. The connections at each end of the check valve (circled below), are these cemented/glued in typically or is it some sort of compression type fitting that can be unscrewed? No sure if the small piece of pipe between the check valve and cell union is glued on to the check valve, if it is that probably means I will need a new 90' check valve which are a bit harder to locate in Toronto/Canada from my google search.

I assume into the heater outlet they are not glued on, but hard to tell without taking it apart. I hope they aren't glued on, as that would pose an issue as I need to either replace the heater or heat exchanger at the very least (see Q3 below).

1661255021648.png1661255053630.png

3. Somewhat off topic, though it's how this whole project started. I have a super slow leak eminating from my heater, which presumably is a crack/hole in the heat exchanger. My pool person wants of course to just swap out the whole heater even though it's only ~4 years old. Probably chemistry issues caused pitting in the copper exchanger. So I'm thinking instead to just swap the exchanger which looks easy enough. The only other issue is that the heater doesn't hold a light. I hear a "swoosh" when the ignition clicks, the flame light on the heater comes on for a few seconds, and then goes out. A minute or so later, the process starts again and the heater tries to ignite, over and over. Would that likely just be the ignition rod needing to be replaced, as I assume a slight crack/leak in the heat exchanger wouldn't prevent the gas from lighting? Hesitant to buy a heat exc hanger only to find out there are unreparrable issues in the heater!

4. Curious, the check valves and diverter valves are typically rated as 1.5 to 2", or 2 to 2.5". If I have 2" pipe, which do I buy and how can there be a 1/2" swing?

5. Actually one more question. I live in Toronto, so winter is of course freezing for several months. Presumably with a bypass set up there are no additional winterizing things I should think about (additional drain plugs, etc)? I have someone close it each year so have never really paid attention.

Last edited:
1. Looking at the plumbing and access, it will be near impossible to get to the diverter valve in the location I'm thinking. I assume it doesn't matter if the valve is a bit earlier in the chain? I'm thinking of instead putting it here, which would mean adding one additional 90 degree elbow and a bit more pipe, but much easier to get to and potentially easier to work within.

Anywhere along the pipe into the heater is fine.

2. Trying to determine if I will need a new 90' check valve. The connections at each end of the check valve (circled below), are these cemented/glued in typically or is it some sort of compression type fitting that can be unscrewed? No sure if the small piece of pipe between the check valve and cell union is glued on to the check valve, if it is that probably means I will need a new 90' check valve which are a bit harder to locate in Toronto/Canada from my google search.

The CV is going to be glued and not a compression fitting.

I assume into the heater outlet they are not glued on, but hard to tell without taking it apart.

There will be a union connecting the stub pipe from the CV to the heater output.

I would think you can reuse the CV and union connection and just buildup from the CV with pipe, the T, and the flow switch.

3. Somewhat off topic, though it's how this whole project started. I have a super slow leak eminating from my heater, which presumably is a crack/hole in the heat exchanger. My pool person wants of course to just swap out the whole heater even though it's only ~4 years old. Probably chemistry issues caused pitting in the copper exchanger. So I'm thinking instead to just swap the exchanger which looks easy enough. The only other issue is that the heater doesn't hold a light. I hear a "swoosh" when the ignition clicks, the flame light on the heater comes on for a few seconds, and then goes out. A minute or so later, the process starts again and the heater tries to ignite, over and over. Would that likely just be the ignition rod needing to be replaced, as I assume a slight crack/leak in the heat exchanger wouldn't prevent the gas from lighting? Hesitant to buy a heat exc hanger only to find out there are unreparrable issues in the heater!

The leak could be messing up the flame sensing. Hard to know. It is a gamble throwing parts into the heater hoping it works. That is why service men just say to replace it.

4. Curious, the check valves and diverter valves are typically rated as 1.5 to 2", or 2 to 2.5". If I have 2" pipe, which do I buy and how can there be a 1/2" swing?

The smaller size slips into the valve hole, the larger size goes over the stub.

5. Actually one more question. I live in Toronto, so winter is of course freezing for several months. Presumably with a bypass set up there are no additional winterizing things I should think about (additional drain plugs, etc)? I have someone close it each year so have never really paid attention.

Having the heater bypass will make no difference in your winterization. Just leave it open.

Reactions: pbc
Anywhere along the pipe into the heater is fine.

The CV is going to be glued and not a compression fitting.

There will be a union connecting the stub pipe from the CV to the heater output.

I would think you can reuse the CV and union connection and just buildup from the CV with pipe, the T, and the flow switch.

The leak could be messing up the flame sensing. Hard to know. It is a gamble throwing parts into the heater hoping it works. That is why service men just say to replace it.

The smaller size slips into the valve hole, the larger size goes over the stub.

Having the heater bypass will make no difference in your winterization. Just leave it open.
You may have already mentioned this, but can I put the salt cell vertically on the opposing side stack as it exits the pool equipment room? Put differently, can the salt cell come into play "after" the flow switch or has to be before the flow switch? Right now the water flows through the salt cell, then the flow switch, then out to the pool. Can it flow through teh flow switch, then the salt cell, then out to the pool?

You may have already mentioned this, but can I put the salt cell vertically on the opposing side stack as it exits the pool equipment room? Put differently, can the salt cell come into play "after" the flow switch or has to be before the flow switch? Right now the water flows through the salt cell, then the flow switch, then out to the pool. Can it flow through teh flow switch, then the salt cell, then out to the pool?

Yes.

But it looks like the down pipe is tight against the wall and you will need to bump it out to accommodate the width of the cell.

He managed to put the salt cell on the other side. Fairly clean and no leaking so far. Bit of a pain to get to the diverter valve but that was going to be the case regardless.

Now if only Hayward would get back to me about the heater I could get back to enjoying the pool…70deg is a bit too chilly for my kids!

6269E948-4B6F-43C9-9010-5574B9F180A7.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.