Heater Bypass Configuration

ejr2001r

Nov 24, 2019
Aldie, Va.
Hello fellow members,
We just had Jandy JXi gas water heater installed, along with a manual bypass. Unfortunately, the company that installed it didn't tell us they were here, and we weren't able to ask questions, so we don't know and aren't sure if this current configuration is safe to fire up the heater. Can anyone please take a look at the pictures and advise? We don't trust they'll come back by tomorrow to explain their work prior to the Memorial day weekend. Much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20230525_160908.jpg
    IMG_20230525_160908.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230525_160837.jpg
    IMG_20230525_160837.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20230525_160820.jpg
    IMG_20230525_160820.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 23
Hello fellow members,
We just had Jandy JXi gas water heater installed, along with a manual bypass. Unfortunately, the company that installed it didn't tell us they were here, and we weren't able to ask questions, so we don't know and aren't sure if this current configuration is safe to fire up the heater. Can anyone please take a look at the pictures and advise? We don't trust they'll come back by tomorrow to explain their work prior to the Memorial day weekend. Much appreciated!
If you want to completely bypass the heater the diverter is in the valve incorrectly. To do a partial bypass, turn the handle so that it points toward the pump. That will partially open the port that is now completely closed (see the label on the curved portion of the handle).

The handle is in the correct position for operating your heater...

img_20230525_160837-jpg.496260

Thanks for the responses all. So to bypass it, I just need to turn the 3-way valve counter clockwise so the off is pointed more towards the heater correct? The valve only turns a quarter of the way in both directions, and I did notice the red flap in the clear valve move 90 degrees into what looked like a closed position.

In regards to heater by pass valves, I have 2 installed and I was wondering if you close the in/out valves and bypass the heater completely (during the summer), do you need to drain the water from the heater/pipes inside the heater ? kind of doing a "winterizing" process ? or can you just close the valves and be done ?
I read in one discussion that it was not good to leave water in the pipes/heater and another mentioned to always leave water running thru the heater.
I know water chemistry is key to longevity, but by passing may also help with electric consumption and accidental chemistry imbalances.
here is a pic of the set up.

Attachments

• IMG_20211117_144352967_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211117_144352967_HDR.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 4
Leave the valves cracked open just a bit so you get a little flow of water through the heater. That does not affect the efficiency benefits and is what Jandy and Pentair are doing with their automatic bypasses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.