Heater Breaker Keeps Tripping - Hot Springs Grandee 2003 - New Heater Board

HeritageHD

Jul 15, 2021
Michigan
I have a 20a and 30a breaker feeding by tub. The 30a heater breaker kept tripping. I disconnected the heater wires from the heater control board and it would still trip. I could smell burnt plastic so I removed the heater control board and found one of the relays was completely fried and melted the back of the board.

I replaced the old style part number 74556 board with the new 77119 version . After install things seemed to be running fine. Brough the tub up to temp no issues. After about 48 hours I found it tripped again.

I have not tried resetting it because I'm scared to ruin the board again.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting steps I can take to identify the root cause?

Thank you!

Replace the 30A breaker. It could have gotten weak from all the trips from the old board problem.

Put a clamp on amp meter on the 30A wire and see what the actual draw is.

Reactions: 1poolman1
The breaker is a special order and $120 to replace. Any way to test it before buying a new one?

The test would be to put a clamp on amp meter on the 30A wire and see what the actual draw is.
Can a non-gfci breaker is $17. Can I put that in as a test?

Yes, you can test the spa operation but I would not have people go into it without a GFCI CB.

I have a 20a and 30a breaker feeding by tub. The 30a heater breaker kept tripping. I disconnected the heater wires from the heater control board and it would still trip. I could smell burnt plastic so I removed the heater control board and found one of the relays was completely fried and melted the back of the board.

I replaced the old style part number 74556 board with the new 77119 version . After install things seemed to be running fine. Brough the tub up to temp no issues. After about 48 hours I found it tripped again.

I have not tried resetting it because I'm scared to ruin the board again.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting steps I can take to identify the root cause?

Thank you!
Remove the wiring from the heater and try. If it doesn't trip you likely need a new heater element.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.