Heat Pump turns off with FLO error (Water flow)

hiddenoaks

Sep 8, 2020
CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Total Control PPC1
Hi all,
I'd appreciate some collective wisdom here with helping me understand what is going on. For context, I have a 20k gallon salt water pool, with a variable speed pump (newly installed this year) and a Hayward ACT-1250 heat pump. The newly installed VSP is running on lower speeds than my previous single speed pump, and over 2 weeks the heat pump has been turning off with FLO error, which is insufficient water flow error. However, the way it is happening is confusing me. Here's the scenario:

The pump runs at 1600RPM, heat pump works fine for a few days, then errors out with FLO error. I increase the pump RPM to 1800.
The heat pump starts working, and runs fine for a week or so. Then, errors out with FLO again. I increase the pump RPM to 2000, the heat pump starts working again.

I understand the heat pump needs a min 20gpm flow to work, and that may require tuning the pump RPM a bit, but why does it behave the way it has, with multiple turnoffs? Afaik, the filter should be clean (only opened pool about 3 weeks ago, I use skimmer socks to prevent some debris reaching the filter, use a robot to clean the pool, etc - the filter pressure has not climbed at all (maybe 1psi rise, not showing that its dirty). I dont think I have any clogs in my lines, flow works great when I run the pump at 3000RPM, zero issues then.

What exactly may be going on here?

Your filter can clog in a few days if you have algae.

What is your pump runtime?

Clean your filter.

Needing increasing RPMs for the same flow indicates a filter that is getting dirty.

Hmm, thanks - appreciate it, and will check today. Pump runtimes are 3k RPM for 1h, 10h at 1800RPM, then 1h for 3k again.
Just did a water test, zero combined chlorine and water is crystal clear - but will clean the filter to test this out!

I see you are using Perlite in your DE filter.

When I tried that I found my DE filter was clogging too quickly with normal pool dirt and not algae and I had to backwash too often. I went back to using DE.

I think your Perlite is causing the problem.

Reactions: hiddenoaks
yes Trying Perilite this year but if I have to backwash it 5 times more than DE, thats not really savings at all

Quick update: everything back to normal, thanks to everyone in this thread for your knowledge and advice! It was indeed the filter being clogged, but not overly dirty - perhaps it was the Perilite that was causing the decrease in GPM flow that triggered the pump to shutdown.

What I did:
* disassembled the DE filter, cleaned it out, re-assembled
* charged it with 6lb DE, no more perilite experiment.
* Pump running at 1400RPM, filter pressure at 6PSI, and Heat Pump is working just fine - meaning flow is above the min 20GPM required for the Heat Pump.

Thanks all, and happy friday!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.