Heat pump trips Circuit Breaker

jluishdezt

May 18, 2023
Nebraska
I know this is an old thread but just want to say thanks for all the info here. I've watch so many youtube videos but none has good info about the ultratemp and the intellicenter. I'll try this last suggestion using the RS485 and solar sensor.
The pool company supposedly installed the HP to use relay but it has never worked on the intellicenter and my board doesn't show any cables !?. Pic of my board attached. The current RS485 A wire is for my superflo VS pump I just installed to replace a single speed superflo.
Do any of you have any issues with the circuit breaker tripping when the HP is on and tries to start after temp drops? This happens to me so I have to use the HP in this order: Turn HP off, make sure temp is set lower than water temp, then turn the pump on and change the set temp higher than water temp. If I don't do it in this order my circuit breaker will trip and I have to start all over.
TIA.
Moved from here.

Attachments

• IntelliBoard.JPG
    IntelliBoard.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
What heatpump do you have? The omron relays that come in the intellicenter are only rated to 25 amps, most heatpumps draw significantly more than that. At a min the heatpump likely needs to move direct to the breaker then use either the fireman's switch or the rs485 bus to control.

Reactions: mknauss
I have the ULTRATEMP 460833. It has its own 50 amp breaker but I read somewhere that the breaker needs to be either pentair or siemens? The one I have doesn't even have a brand that I can see.
I'll install the RS485 cable and solar sensor today and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks!

Can you snap a photo of the load center of your intellicenter? Can you see what size the wire coming from the heat pump breaker says it is?

I read somewhere that the breaker needs to be either pentair or siemens?

That guidance is specifically for Pentair VS pump GFCI CB's

Heat pumps should be connected directly to a dedicated 50A or 60A Circuit breaker and not through a high voltage relay.

Reactions: jluishdezt
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.