heat pump shutting down before reaching target temp

MiguelACA

Silver Supporter
May 12, 2020
Houston
Hey everyone, I have a Pentair UltraTemp 120 H/C (460935). Last night it shut down at about 95-96 when it hit target temp. I wanted the water a bit warmer so I turned up the temperature to 99 but the heat pump never kicked back on. I know there has two be a 5 degree difference between the hot and cold temp setting, thought I might be mistaken at it was more like 6-7 degree difference. turned it down to 97....still nothing....water temp dropped down 94 and the heat pump still didn't kick on. I adjusted the water temperature offset both -2 and +2 and it didn't make a difference. I turned off the "has cooling", still nothing. When I would turn on the "has cooling" it would set the cool point to default and kick on to cool the water. Water temp dropped to 94 and still the heat pump didn't kick on??? any ideas why? I'm not at home now, but i'll have the wife check to see if the heat pump is on once the pump kicks on and starts its daily thing.

I had an issue that was fixed by the PB where a temp sensor was bad and not letting the heat kick on, just the cool mode.

I don't have a spa, but see spa settings in the menu. Not sure if that could fudge something?

I will be contacted the PB at some point, but would like to figure it out myself/with you guys first if possible or at least know what I am going into when I call the PB.

Thanks!

How old is the UltraTemp?

Like an AC system a HP has a delay after it turns off before it will cycle on again. Did it never cycle on? Sometimes you have to let it rest without hitting any buttons for it to reset and turn on.

How old is the UltraTemp?

Like an AC system a HP has a delay after it turns off before it will cycle on again. Did it never cycle on? Sometimes you have to let it rest without hitting any buttons for it to reset and turn on.

5 months old! used it to cool the pool during the summer and just started using the heating function 2 months ago.

Nope, never cycled back on! Even this morning when the schedule kicked the pump on, the heat pump turns on with it if needed...nothing!

I went through the Heat pump and EasyTouch/screen logic manuals this morning and made a few adjustments. It's working now and heating up now and so far its at 95. I have the heat set to 99 and cool to 104, I believe it needs a 5 degree difference.

I THINK the issue was the spa temp was set to 94 and was somehow causing an issue and not letting the heat kick on, ive since upped the spa heat to 99 as well. I do NOT have a spa.

I've noticed the EasyTouch/screenlogic systems get wonky...a few weeks ago it lost the settings to the heat pump and valve for the bubblers, luckily I figured it out and got it going again. The PB and his project manager aren't very saavy with the automation. There were settings checked that weren't supposed to be.

The other problem is PBs have lots of experience with gas heaters. Heat pumps are a foreign language to them and most know nothing about how they operate, how to diagnose problems, or repair them.

Don't be shy about making warranty claims with Pentair and holding them responsible.

The other problem is PBs have lots of experience with gas heaters. Heat pumps are a foreign language to them and most know nothing about how they operate, how to diagnose problems, or repair them.

Don't be shy about making warranty claims with Pentair and holding them responsible.

For sure! I try to fix something first myself, but if I cant get it squared away in a few days, the PB gets a call. They're on the hook until July lol. I can't complain really, they have been good to work with and very responsive. I know they wouldn't hesitate to make it right. They have been swamped so I know its hard to get them out ASAP.

Any thoughts on the spa temp setting being responsible for it not kicking back on? Wouldn't make sense why it didn't kick on the morning though? Gremlins?

Any thoughts on the spa temp setting being responsible for it not kicking back on? Wouldn't make sense why it didn't kick on the morning though? Gremlins?

Pool temp verus spa temp is just giving dual thermostat settings if you use the HP control panel. But you let the ET control the heat. So both POOL and SPA on the HP should be set at 104.

You set the HP thermostat to maximum temperature and let the ET manage the heat set point.

Pool temp verus spa temp is just giving dual thermostat settings if you use the HP control panel. But you let the ET control the heat. So both POOL and SPA on the HP should be set at 104.

You set the HP thermostat to maximum temperature and let the ET manage the heat set point.

I think im tracking... but I don't think I can make any temp adjustments on the HP when connected to ET? I think it's all handed over to the ET.

@ajw22 Would ambient air temperature restrict the HP from operating?

That was my thought as well, I have noticed that when it gets below 50, the HP starts to get funky, it will shut itself down to prevent freezing. It will shut down and start up, shut down, start up...once temps warm up it stays on. Temps didn't hit that low last night when it shut down and didn't kick on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think im tracking... but I don't think I can make any temp adjustments on the HP when connected to ET? I think it's all handed over to the ET.

It is confusing to me when you talk about adjusting temperatures if you are doing it on the ET or the UltraTemp.

The UltraTemp settings should be at max and left there.

It is confusing to me when you talk about adjusting temperatures if you are doing it on the ET or the UltraTemp.

The UltraTemp settings should be at max and left there.

I don't adjust anything on the heat pump itself, everything is done on easy touch/screen logic. the only thing I messed with on the heat pump itself was the water temperature offset, + and - 2 degrees, neither made a difference.

I don't adjust anything on the heat pump itself, everything is done on easy touch/screen logic. the only thing I messed with on the heat pump itself was the water temperature offset, + and - 2 degrees, neither made a difference.

Is the UltraTemp in RS-485 remote mode?

FB104257-714C-4726-A22E-BD35B97FB28F.png

What is the outside temp when this happens?

So, heater started at some point yesterday morning. I thought I had figured it out and it was a bad setting. It worked all day yesterday, bright and sunny day. Hit 96 around 5pm and never turned back on even though it was set to heat to 99. Outside temp was 68 I was on the phone with Pentair trying to get it squared away. The tech checked all my settings and verified I had what I needed and nothing I didn't

We tried adjusting the water temp and air temp to read 10 degrees higher, that worked...for all of one minute before shutting down again. We tried putting it into spa mode, still nothing, removed the spa from my system still nothing. Took the heat pump off the remote control and tried to turn up the heat...it would not let me turn it up past 95 or 96, cant remember exactly. At some point it would turn on the fan for about 30 seconds, then turn off, never kicked on the compressor.

I find it odd that the heat pump itself would not let me adjust the temperature past 95-96?

The tech mentioned that in POOL mode, heaters/heat pumps wont heat up past 96? Is this true? If so, when he tried running it in SPA mode, it should have worked? Would a temp limit on the heat pump itself affect the EasyTouch/screen logic temp settings?

The tech coming wont be over until next tuesday, ill keep looking into it until then, maybe theres some overlooked setting somewhere on the HP itself

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.