Heat Pump Plumbing

I am going to put a heat pump on the pad on the left hand side. (I already found one that fits on Amazon).
The question is, how to plumb it into the system.
Some explanation:

There are two pumps. The one on the left is only for the spa. It draws and delivers only to the spa. The one on the right is the primary one which delivers water to the spa but pulls from the pool, so it circulates water around the entire pool. The spa overflows to the pool.

It appears that there was a heater there at some time in the past, and it was only hooked up to the spa pump. This is ok, but it would fail to heat the main pool unless both pumps were running. This seems like a waste of electricity to have two pumps running at the same time.

My idea scene is that I could have it running typically on the pump on the right for the entire pool, and then if I wanted to make the spa extra hot, then turn some valves so it only runs to the spa. Then I could heat it up to about 99 degrees fairly easily.

But that seems pretty complicated, and it is not clear to me how to plumb that up.

Suggestions?

Most pool/spa combos have valves by the suction and return Ts to switch water flow between them.

Connect the heater after the filter.

Put valves on the skimmer and pool return lines to turn off pool when you want spa only heat. Or you can change the Ts to 3 way valves.

There are two separate water flows in your spa.

The pool/spa pump circulates, filters, and sanitizes water in your pool and spa. When in pool mode with your spillover running it will return water to the spa and the spillover will send water into the pool to be taken in by the pool skimmer suction. In spa mode your spa has suction and return for the water flow.

The spa pump is dedicated to the spa jets. It has suction from the spa and pumps water out the jets.

The two pump setup lets you circulate and sanitize the spa regularly and run the spa jets when you want the full spa action.

Thanks very much. I got my heat pump, wired it up, plumbed it up and it's working great.

The Heat Pump is connected to the SPA only, so it heated it up to 99 degrees in only a couple of hours yesterday. I was surprised at how quickly reached the max temp.

Then, if I want the pool heated also, I turn on the other pump which returns to the spa, but pulls from the pool. So it pushes the spa water into the pool and warms it up.

The Heat Pump was $1,800 on Amazon, a much cheaper alternative to trying to bring natural gas or propane.

I must say, a heated spa/pool is SOOOO much nicer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.