Rockville, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
We are getting a heat pump installed for our 22000g in ground pool. We've gotten quotes for Rheem and Pentair Ultratemp units in the 118-140k BTU range.

What are your opinions on these manufacturers? Both names are familiar to me but I've never owned equipment by them. I'm also not real familiar with Rheem in the pool industry but they are pretty well known in HVAC circles.

It seems to be between a Ray-pak M6450ti-E or a Pentair Ultratemp 125k or a Hayward Heatpro 125k.

Last edited:
I can tell you this time of year we get people asking how to fix those 2 types of heaters all the time... most of them are for the gas models because not many people have heat pumps...

we never get anyone asking how to fix an aquacal heat pump and they have been making them forever... They are more expensive but how much I am not sure...

Rule #1 in heat pumps is to get the largest you can get. All of the manufacturers make a 140K+ BTU heater, so don't settle for a 125K one. I agree with the previous poster on looking at the AquaCal. I have a Hayward now (HP 21404T, 140K) , but will be looking at an AquaCal when it's time to replace. They are more efficient than any of the other heaters, so cost less to run, and are significantly quieter when running (about 10dB less).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.