Heat pump GFCI trips

Faithbible

Jun 19, 2020
pittsburgh
I ran three #10 wires from a 30 ampGFCI to a heat pump. I wired two to hot sides and one to the neutral. I ran the coiled white wire from the breaker to the grounding bar. At the heater pump I ran the two hot wires to L1 and L2 and the neutral to the neutral. It immediately tripped the breaker until I removed the #8 bonding wire from the heater lug at the base of the heater. The bonding wire goes to the pump and then to the pool skimmer and then around the pool. I would appreciate any advice as to how I to remedy this matter.

I ran three #10 wires from a 30 ampGFCI to a heat pump. I wired two to hot sides and one to the neutral. I ran the coiled white wire from the breaker to the grounding bar.

You connect the coiled white wire from the breaker to the NEUTRAL BAR, not the ground bar.

You should have also run a green ground wire to connect from the heat pump to the GROUND BAR.

At the heater pump I ran the two hot wires to L1 and L2 and the neutral to the neutral.

Ran the the neutral to the neutral what???? You connect the neutral from the load to the neutral connection on the GFCI breaker, not to the neutral bar.

It immediately tripped the breaker until I removed the #8 bonding wire from the heater lug at the base of the heater. The bonding wire goes to the pump and then to the pool skimmer and then around the pool. I would appreciate any advice as to how I to remedy this matter.

Fix the way you have the neutrals wired, run and connect a ground wire, and reconnect the bonding wire.

Does the installation manual even say to use a neutral?

We need to see the installation manual and the wiring diagram on the heat pump.

We need to see where the wires actually connect to the heat pump.

Earthing is another term for GROUND. There is no NEUTRAL connection in this diagram.

6F9BCD03-B5E9-4050-B8D8-0180988F52B0.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is NO neutral in a 240V connection, there are two hot legs and a ground. Please, if you are unsure about electrical wiring please consult a qualified electrician. Water and electricity don’t mix well together. Just some friendly advice.

so is my problem that I may have put the white coiled wire of the breaker on the ground bus instead of the neutral bus as you mentioned above?

Excuse me for being blunt, but your questions demonstrate you do not understand the basics of safe electrical wiring You should get a qualified electrician to help you with your hookup.

Learning how to do electric wiring from strangers on a pool forum on the Internet focused on water chemistry is not smart or safe. We cannot look at the safety of what you are doing.

I agree that you should have an electrician do this project for you.

I can appreciate that you want to do a project like this, but it's a safety issue if you don't get everything exactly right.

If you want to post a picture of the heat pump wiring diagram from the heat pump and a picture of where the wires connect and the breaker, we can see exactly what you're working with and advise on what to expect from the electrician.

Who ran the service line from the panel to the heat pump?

Thanks to AJW22. Moved the coil from the breaker to the neutral bar took the line I had for neutral out of the middle lug of the breaker and took it to ground. Now only two hot legs running from the breaker. All is running fine.

Glad you got it figured out. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.